POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : How to compile Megapov 0.7 in linux Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  How to compile Megapov 0.7 in linux (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Chris Jeppesen
Subject: How to compile Megapov 0.7 in linux
Date: 24 Jan 2002 21:14:24
Message: <3C50BF97.1020106@digiquill.com>
Compiling MegaPov for linux requires more work than it should. I have
finished a patch which does this work.

There is a link on Nathan Kopp's site http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm
to another page which claims to give instructions on how to do this, but
I have never seen this link work, and I believe the page is dead.

Building MegaPov requires a few canges to the source code, all minor,
and a major addition to the makefile. This patch makes those changes.

In order to apply this patch, get povuni_s.tgz from the povray site,
megasrc07.zip from Nathan's site, and my patch from
povray.binaries.programming. Copy all the files to /usr/local/src or
wherever else you feel like. Unpack povuni_s.tgz. It will create a
subdirectory povray31. go to povray31/source, and unzip megasrc.zip
using the following command:

unzip -LL -a ../../megasrc07.zip

This will cause all filenames to be converted to lower case and convert
MS-DOS \r\n into Unix \n line endings. This is important, since Linux
filenames are case sensitive, and GCC chokes on MS-DOS line endings.
When it asks, tell it to replace all files it finds.

goto the povray31 directory and apply the patch as follows:

bunzip2 -c ../megapov07.patch.bz2 | patch -Np1

now go to povray31/source/unix, edit the makefile to match your system,
and run

make newunix

to compile the system.

Post a reply to this message

> Compiling MegaPov for linux requires more work than it should. I have
> finished a patch which does this work.
>
> There is a link on Nathan Kopp's site http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm
> to another page which claims to give instructions on how to do this, but
> I have never seen this link work, and I believe the page is dead.

There are several megapov derived versions ready to compile with Linux,
for example Megapov plus:

http://www.mailbag.com/users/mtgordon/megapov.html

Povman:

http://tofbouf.free.fr/clothray/download_en.html