POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : smooth_triangle mesh not alway working? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  smooth_triangle mesh not alway working? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Derek Feichtinger
Subject: smooth_triangle mesh not alway working?
Date: 21 Sep 2000 10:04:31
Message: <39CA156E.CAFF0DA9@psi.ch>
I wrote programs which are able to convert MATLAB patch objects into
povray mesh objects, using either 'triangle' or 'smooth_triangle'
commands to build the mesh. I'm using this to picture proton clouds of a
simulation, so the objects are actually isosurfaces of a discreet volume
function.

In the smooth_triangle mesh object there are often holes. If I render
the same object with 'triangles' using the exactly same vertex data the
object looks ok and all the holes are closed.

Has anybody had the same problems with 'smooth_triangle'? Is there a fix
to it?

Thanks,
Derek

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:04:30 +0200, Derek Feichtinger wrote:
>I wrote programs which are able to convert MATLAB patch objects into
>povray mesh objects, using either 'triangle' or 'smooth_triangle'
>commands to build the mesh. I'm using this to picture proton clouds of a
>simulation, so the objects are actually isosurfaces of a discreet volume
>function.

So the function keeps its personal life to itself?

>In the smooth_triangle mesh object there are often holes. If I render
>the same object with 'triangles' using the exactly same vertex data the
>object looks ok and all the holes are closed.

Is it possible that some of your normals are inverted?  That is, might
you have triangles whose normals are more than 180 degrees from each
other?

By the way, you might find more answers in .general; this isn't really
a Unix question.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.
Proudly not helping RIAA and SDMI steal my rights --
  http://www.eff.org/Misc/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/HTML/effect13.08.html

Post a reply to this message