POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: solving a linux problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: solving a linux problem (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Francois Dispot
Subject: Re: solving a linux problem
Date: 6 Sep 2000 17:50:11
Message: <39B6BC12.C17925C4@club-internet.fr>
Matt Giwer wrote:

>         I'm still learning linux. Its only been a bit over 8 months. Being up
> for essentially as long as you want it to be up is a problem in that the
> clock drifts. I know ... such problems to have.
>
>         Create a file with this line and put it in your cron.hourly directory
> presuming full time network connect. Manual execution as root or
> whatever else. Of course make it +xxx.
>
> rtime -s tock.usno.navy.mil
>
>         It corrects you to US Naval observatory time. It sets to half the
> transit time but you might want to pick a time source closer to home.

... or install and configure [x]ntpd.

--

      __  __ __  __  _
|  | /  \  /  / |_  /  |/
\/\/ \__/ /_ /_ |__ \_ |\

Post a reply to this message

From: Matt Giwer
Date: 9 Sep 2000 05:16:03
Message: <39B9FFE5.7AEF300F@ij.net>
Francois Dispot wrote:

> Matt Giwer wrote:
> >
> >         I'm still learning linux. Its only been a bit over 8 months. Being up
> > for essentially as long as you want it to be up is a problem in that the
> > clock drifts. I know ... such problems to have.
> >
> >         Create a file with this line and put it in your cron.hourly directory
> > presuming full time network connect. Manual execution as root or
> > whatever else. Of course make it +xxx.
> >
> > rtime -s tock.usno.navy.mil
> >
> >         It corrects you to US Naval observatory time. It sets to half the
> > transit time but you might want to pick a time source closer to home.
>
> ... or install and configure [x]ntpd.

	No man page for either on Redhat 6.2. rtime came with.

--
Criticizing Hollywood is a code word for
criticizing Jews. You can not do that.

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve
Date: 9 Sep 2000 12:22:08
Message: <slrn8rkmj6.qfh.steve@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Sat, 09 Sep 2000 05:16:21 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
>Francois Dispot wrote:
>>
>> Matt Giwer wrote:
>> >
>> >         I'm still learning linux. Its only been a bit over 8 months. Being up
>> > for essentially as long as you want it to be up is a problem in that the
>> > clock drifts. I know ... such problems to have.
>> >
>> >         Create a file with this line and put it in your cron.hourly directory
>> > presuming full time network connect. Manual execution as root or
>> > whatever else. Of course make it +xxx.
>> >
>> > rtime -s tock.usno.navy.mil
>> >
>> >         It corrects you to US Naval observatory time. It sets to half the
>> > transit time but you might want to pick a time source closer to home.
>>
>> ... or install and configure [x]ntpd.
>
>	No man page for either on Redhat 6.2. rtime came with.

It's rdate not rtime.  The full man page below:

RDATE(1)                     Red Hat                     RDATE(1)

NAME
       rdate - get the time via the network

SYNOPSIS
       rdate [-p] [-s] [host...]

DESCRIPTION
       rdate connects to an RFC 868 time server over a TCP/IP network,
printing
       the returned time and/or setting the system clock.

   OPTIONS
       -p     Print the time returned by the remote machine.

       -s     Set the system time to the returned time.

HISTORY
       2000-02-04 Elliot Lee <sop### [at] redhatcom>
              Wrote it (previous incarnation  had  license  problems,  all
200
              lines of it).

Utilities                 February 2000                         1

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  4:40pm  up 18 days, 20:53,  2 users,  load average: 1.26, 1.12, 1.04

Post a reply to this message

> > >         I'm still learning linux. Its only been a bit over 8 months. Being up
> > > for essentially as long as you want it to be up is a problem in that the
> > > clock drifts. I know ... such problems to have.
> > >
> > >         Create a file with this line and put it in your cron.hourly directory
> > > presuming full time network connect. Manual execution as root or
> > > whatever else. Of course make it +xxx.
> > >
> > > rtime -s tock.usno.navy.mil
> > >
> > >         It corrects you to US Naval observatory time. It sets to half the
> > > transit time but you might want to pick a time source closer to home.
> >
> > ... or install and configure [x]ntpd.
>
>         No man page for either on Redhat 6.2. rtime came with.

Most modern packages don't come with a man page (which imho is a shame).
Look in your /usr/doc directory.

--