POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : re: user survey - please answer Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  re: user survey - please answer (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: fran
Subject: re: user survey - please answer
Date: 12 Jul 2000 19:58:35
Message: <396CD626.25D871A5@netgate.net.nz>
>1) Under what operating systems do you use POV-Ray? Please be specific
>as to e.g. Linux distributions, versions, and so forth. Multiple
>answers are fine.

Debian Linux. Unstable and Frozen.

>2) Do you want POV-Ray for Unix to have an official GUI front-end for
>your platform? Please indicate which one(s) if you list several
>platforms.

It would make it easy for setting options, that can be hard to remember,
but then another way to do it, and the way I do is to use the ini files.
So create some common ini files for different situations, and/or create
a front end to create an ini file. That way the options wouldn't have to
be remembered, but would be easy to save the options, so the gui
wouldn't have to be used later.

But a nice way to 'zoom' in on a rendering (ie the render box region
thingy), would be nice if interactive.

>3) Would you want such a front-end to have a built-in editor?

Not really.. Just a way for pov to easierly intergrate into existing
editors, like looking like a compiler, so the current editors can jump
to the places in the scene files where errors appeared.

>4) Any preference on languages/GUI libraries on such a front end, pro or
>con? (Tcl/Tk, Perl/Tk, Python Tkinter, Java AWT, gtk+, Gnome, KDE,
>Motif/Lesstif)

Just something that is easy to port... 8-).. I would go for, gtk+, or
perl/tk

>5) What editor do you use for editing .pov files?

fte - allows folding of the text - to make it easier to naviagate the
files.

>6) What format(s) do you prefer for documentation? (HTML, ASCII, PDF,
>ps, man, info, Word document, etc.)

For nice printed output - pdf/ps/dvi/latex
For interactive  - info/man . Just something to quickly find a function,
how it works, plus some examples in use, with maybe 1 complete scene
file included that shows that function working. Cut+paste sorta thing.

>7) What sort of package management do you prefer for precompiled
>binaries?

Either deb for debian, or pre-compiled tar.gz, or source tar.gz

>8) What unofficial version(s) of POV-Ray (e.g. MegaPov, PVMPOV) do you
>use on a regular basis?

Both the official pov and Megapov.
NOTE:: Gotta have a play with Mosix, for clustering with pov... hmmmm.

--
Fran Firman