POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : segmentation fault (core dumped) on alpha linux Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  segmentation fault (core dumped) on alpha linux (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Dean Wheeler
Subject: segmentation fault (core dumped) on alpha linux
Date: 24 Feb 2000 01:07:01
Message: <38b4ca85@news.povray.org>
On 22 Aug 99 Sune Mai posted on this group:
> I've installed POV-Ray for Linux, but it doesn't seem to
>work. When i try to run povray i get the message: "segmentation fault
> (core dumped)" I'm running Linux RedHat 5.2 on a pentium
>pc, and I've tried both an rpm version of povray-3.02 and a standard
>version of povray3.1

I get the exact same segmentation fault when running x-povray on my alpha
linux
box!
I just compiled the povray3.1g source on a dec alpha (ev5 cpu) running
redhat 6.1.
Everything compiled just fine using gcc with the generic unix optimization
switches suggested in the makefile.

The core dump occurs at the rendering stage, while processing the second
scan line
of whatever I try to render.  The error does NOT occur if
Output_to_File=false
 in my .povrayrc file, that is, I can get beautiful images on-screen, just
not on my harddrive! The error does not care which
filetype the output image is.  Also, an output file is created, but is blank

Unfortunately, I don't know c (just fortran--I'm impaired by my chemical
engineering training) so I'm not
sure I want to attempt to debug any povray code at this point.  Hopefully,
my description can narrow down the location of
the problem a bit for those povray.unix gurus out there.  Any help much
appreciated--especially if someone successfully uses povray on an alpha
linux box.

-Dean Wheeler

Post a reply to this message