POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : help getting pov to run fast on a cray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  help getting pov to run fast on a cray (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: lyonstb
Subject: help getting pov to run fast on a cray
Date: 17 Sep 1999 21:56:16
Message: <37E2EF67.DF18C8DE@pacbell.net>
I have 2 weeks. a 4cpu YMP Cray. I have
compiled the pov3.1g and it runs, BUT I
could go faster with a 450 mhz pentII.
Any one out there have a clue as to where
to tweak the code or compile options?
shapes.pov took ~20 min. @ 800x640 !!!!!

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: help getting pov to run fast on a cray
Date: 18 Sep 1999 18:35:02
Message: <37e41396@news.povray.org>
In article <37E2EF67.DF18C8DE@pacbell.net> , lyonstb <lyo### [at] pacbellnet>
wrote:

> I have 2 weeks. a 4cpu YMP Cray. I have
> compiled the pov3.1g and it runs, BUT I
> could go faster with a 450 mhz pentII.
> Any one out there have a clue as to where
> to tweak the code or compile options?
> shapes.pov took ~20 min. @ 800x640 !!!!!

POV-Ray will only be a single threaded process and so it can only make use
of one processor.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany

Post a reply to this message

From: lyonstb
Date: 18 Sep 1999 20:32:18
Message: <37E42D15.F0B1DDEF@pacbell.net>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <37E2EF67.DF18C8DE@pacbell.net> , lyonstb <lyo### [at] pacbellnet>
> wrote:
>
> > I have 2 weeks. a 4cpu YMP Cray. I have
> > compiled the pov3.1g and it runs, BUT I
> > could go faster with a 450 mhz pentII.
> > Any one out there have a clue as to where
> > to tweak the code or compile options?
> > shapes.pov took ~20 min. @ 800x640 !!!!!
>
> POV-Ray will only be a single threaded process and so it can only make use
> of one processor.
>
>     Thorsten

> Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
yes I understand that it is single
threaded but don't you think that number
crunchin code (like povray) would run
faster on a computer that was built for
utra fast number crunching??? or has
povray been so influenced by the intel
world that the code/algorithm has a "speed
limit"?

Post a reply to this message

> threaded but don't you think that number
> crunchin code (like povray) would run
> faster on a computer that was built for
> utra fast number crunching??? or has
> povray been so influenced by the intel
> world that the code/algorithm has a "speed
> limit"?

I'm inclined to question the compiler (or, as you did, to question
whether you have all the optimizations on).

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message