POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Unix ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Unix ? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Ken
Subject: Unix ?
Date: 12 Jun 1999 09:39:14
Message: <37626031.D1C37435@pacbell.net>
A valid question in two parts -

  What benefit, if any, is there to running Pov under unix or one of it's
incarnations ?

  What drawbacks are there, if any, to running Pov under unix or one of it's
incarnations ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: Unix ?
Date: 12 Jun 1999 15:46:04
Message: <3762b8fc@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
:   What benefit, if any, is there to running Pov under unix or one of it's
: incarnations ?

  Unix is better than windows as an _operating system_ (which doesn't mean
it's a better GUI). That is, it's more stable, it manages memory and
swap better, it manages processes and threads better, etc. It may run
povray faster, but the main advantage is that if you have to do other
things at the same time (like running a server), they will run much more
smoothly.

:   What drawbacks are there, if any, to running Pov under unix or one of it's
incarnations ?

  You have to learn how to use unix, and that's a lot more difficult than
learning to use windows (even if you are going to use only a window
manager). There's also a lack of win95-only utility programs (well,
they might work in a windows emulator...).

> :   What benefit, if any, is there to running Pov under unix or one of it's
> : incarnations ?
>
>   Unix is better than windows as an _operating system_ (which doesn't mean
> it's a better GUI). That is, it's more stable, it manages memory and
> swap better, it manages processes and threads better, etc. It may run
> povray faster, but the main advantage is that if you have to do other
> things at the same time (like running a server), they will run much more
> smoothly.
>
> :   What drawbacks are there, if any, to running Pov under unix or one of it's
incarnations ?

>   You have to learn how to use unix, and that's a lot more difficult than
> learning to use windows (even if you are going to use only a window
> manager). There's also a lack of win95-only utility programs (well,
> they might work in a windows emulator...).

Well to address the pro and con a little more, I can respond directly to the last
comment.

There is a major lack of Win95 utils on Linux. But then again, there is a major lack
of Linux
apps on Win95.

Once you start to get the hang of things like the Gimp, Emacs, The Gimp, etc., Linux
can be lots
o' fun. Also, there is a huge assortment of opensource utilities on Linux. Also,
piping output
from one stage of your work to another, including all sorts of nice post-processing
can be quite
easy, especially with a real command shell like bash, tsch, etc.

Take a peek at http://freshmeat.net/ sometime just to get a feel for some of the
utility progs
that are being worked on.

On the other hand, if there are some nice Win95 only tools that you use a lot, and
actually
can't find replacements for under Linux, it could be a major con.

Post a reply to this message