POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue) : Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue) Server Time
26 Jul 2024 21:07:54 EDT (-0400)
  Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue)
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 10 Dec 2020 10:40:43
Message: <5fd2417b$1@news.povray.org>
In povray.unoffical.patches, In early November I picked up a severe
performance issue with the preview feature and SDL2.0:

"Performance issue with preview and sdl2.0."

True, I guess, except the severity appears to be tangled in the fact the
Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop is leaking memory over time. This leak
apparently a known issue for which I'm having to reboot Ubuntu about
every 10-12 days or so - lest I start to swap. :-(

I've not gotten any of the suggested gnome restart patches to work in
the sense of actually returning leaked memory. I don't understand enough
about the desktop to understand why or why not. Maybe it's not Gnome, or
just Gnome, leaking...

Bill P.