POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux Mint Install : Re: Linux Mint Install Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:03:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Mint Install
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Jun 2020 15:21:42
Message: <5eefb346$1@news.povray.org>
Le 21/06/2020 à 03:05, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> New laptop.
> Crowbarred my way free of Win 10, repartitioned, installed Mint, fixed stupid
> wireless connection problem.
>
> Want to install qtpovray, hgpovray38, but need povray proper.
> website instructions and github readme instructions are different.
>
> Installed all of prereq packages
> made it through ./configure....
>
> Alienware povray-3.7-stable # make
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> Alienware povray-3.7-stable # ls
> aclocal.m4    configure     INSTALL         povray.conf    tools
> appveyor.yml  configure.ac  kde_install.sh  povray.ini.in  unix
> AUTHORS       COPYING       libraries       README         VERSION
> bootstrap     distribution  LICENSE         README.md      vfe
> ChangeLog     doc           Makefile.am     revision.txt   windows
> changes.txt   icons         Makefile.in     scenes
> config.h.in   include       NEWS            scripts
> config.log    ini           povray.1        source
> Alienware povray-3.7-stable # man make
> Alienware povray-3.7-stable # makefile -f Makefile.am
> makefile: command not found
> Alienware povray-3.7-stable # make -f Makefile.am
> make: *** No rule to make target 'all', needed by 'check'.  Stop.
> Alienware povray-3.7-stable # make -f Makefile.in
> Makefile.in:15: *** missing separator.  Stop.
> Alienware povray-3.7-stable #
>

> :(
> Any recommendations?

Old ways, stick to the old ways:
1. ./unix/prebuild.sh
1.1 it was : cd unix, ./prebuild.sh, cd .. ; before change for 3.8

1.5 check if ok

2. ./configure COMPILED_BY="your name <your email>"
2.1 you can add options like --disable-io-restrictions

2.5 check if ok

3. make -j 6
4. make check
5. sudo make install

> sudo apt-get install povray would be SO nice....

It needs:
1. someone to make a binary version (package installs binary, they do
not compile it)
2. someone with a PPA (personal package archive)
3. clearly identify the requirement on shared libraries used during step 1.
4. duplicating the package for each supported distribution
 * Ubuntu: one LTS, one short lived every 6 months, 2 years between LTS
 * Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS, 4 revision per LTS
which means someone probably need to install a lot of virtual machines
to make it cleanly.