POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Some help needed : Re: Some help needed Server Time
26 Jul 2024 19:56:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some help needed
From: clipka
Date: 20 May 2017 03:42:37
Message: <591ff36d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.05.2017 um 21:35 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> Got back to this a while ago. The more I dig the more I think if the
> pkg-config command and its infrastructure exists, it should be used first.
>
> In fact for best reliability, the pkg-config mechanism should perhaps be
> used first for all our packages when available. The necessary .pc files
> exists for the Simple DirectMedia Layer library too it turns out.

Are you sure about this?

To my knowledge, the pkg-config mechanism tells you what packages are
installed via a Linux distribution's package management, such as apt.

However, if the user chooses to install a different version of a library
locally, using environment variables or parameters to `./configure` to
point the compiler there, then my guess is that relying on pkg-config
would seriously screw up things.

Unless pkg-config reliably addresses that issue, in my opinion our first
attempt should be to try and pry the relevant information from the very
files that will be accessed during compilation, i.e. the header files.