POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Generating texture Light maps Server Time
2 May 2024 11:00:49 EDT (-0400)
  Generating texture Light maps (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: gregery20
Subject: Generating texture Light maps
Date: 19 Oct 2004 12:00:01
Message: <web.4175396ddb0c9944ab0432700@news.povray.org>
Hello,
   I'm developing a 3d BSP compiler and visibility pre-processor program
for a rendering engine.  Instead of writing my own ray tracing program for
generating light maps, I'm wondering if Pov-ray can be used to generate
radiosity light maps and export them.  I found information on photon maps
in the documentation but not sure how this can be used for texture light
maps.

   If this is possible would there be any licensing restrictions with using
pov-ray in this way for commercial use?

regards,
Greg.

Post a reply to this message

>   I'm developing a 3d BSP compiler and visibility pre-processor program
>for a rendering engine.  Instead of writing my own ray tracing program for
>generating light maps, I'm wondering if Pov-ray can be used to generate
>radiosity light maps and export them.  I found information on photon maps
>in the documentation but not sure how this can be used for texture light
>maps.
>
>   If this is possible would there be any licensing restrictions with using
>pov-ray in this way for commercial use?

If you mean things like HDR light probes, then the official version
doesn't output them, but MegaPOV 1.1 does. The HDR images created by
MegaPOV are in the format that's used for mapping back onto a sphere
with "map_type 1", If you want a different format, then you'll need to
convert them with something like HDRShop.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure