POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Mesh variable colors Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:38:39 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh variable colors (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Bryan Valencia
Subject: Mesh variable colors
Date: 30 Mar 2006 15:57:12
Message: <442c4628$1@news.povray.org>
I have a mesh2 that I would like to repaint without creating multiple mesh2
objects in memory

Here;s the deal:

The mesh is a car I converted using PoseRay.  I want the windows/headlights
etc. to remain the same texture, but the car body to be randomized.

right now, I have:

object{ car translate... }

I would like to be able to re-color just the car body somehow without
creating multiple versions of the exact same mesh.

I thought of using a macro, but that would load the car in multiple times as
well, wouldn't it?

If I cant do what I want then perhaps I'll just make 5 or 6 versions and
randomly choose from them.

This scene requires many models of various cars to be placed, and I'd rather
not have to create each instance separately.

Post a reply to this message

"Bryan Valencia" <pov### [at] spamgourmetcom> wrote:
> I have a mesh2 that I would like to repaint without creating multiple mesh2
> objects in memory
>
> Here;s the deal:
>
> The mesh is a car I converted using PoseRay.  I want the windows/headlights
> etc. to remain the same texture, but the car body to be randomized.
>
> right now, I have:
>
> object{ car translate... }
>
> I would like to be able to re-color just the car body somehow without
> creating multiple versions of the exact same mesh.
>
> I thought of using a macro, but that would load the car in multiple times as
> well, wouldn't it?
>
> If I cant do what I want then perhaps I'll just make 5 or 6 versions and
> randomly choose from them.
>
> This scene requires many models of various cars to be placed, and I'd rather
> not have to create each instance separately.

To start you off. If I remember correctly, PoseRay creates a separate INC
file with the material definitions. You can copy and rename this file. Edit
it then reference it in your object.

Stephen