POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Norbert Kern's 'Position-Finder' code-- redux : Re: Norbert Kern's 'Position-Finder' code-- redux Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:38:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Norbert Kern's 'Position-Finder' code-- redux
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Sep 2018 21:55:00
Message: <web.5ba1aba5bb085d6c458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
Nice job, Walker.   :)

Thanks to you, I understand much better what this whole thing is all about.

I'll see if maybe I have some time to sketch it out and run some experiments to
see where the bugs are coming from.   But as we know, I have my good days, and I
have my bad days   ;)

Perhaps the 'surface' ought to be renamed the 'target group' or 'target
object[s]' since it clarifies the use of trace.

I tried the macro with a point not on the 'surface' and just got the macro
message - I'm wondering if instead the macro ought to return a normalized vector
indicating the direction from the camera to that selected pixel.

Then you could translate the object to the camera position, and then some
multiple along that vector, so that you could place things "in the air".

I suppose a vertical semi-transparent plane would work just as well.

I wonder just how much photogrammetry could be developed along these lines...
https://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-10/new-program-slips-super-accurate-false-images-existing-photographs

Keep up the good work   :)