POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : POV-Ray 2.2 Compilation Tutorial Server Time
22 May 2024 07:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray 2.2 Compilation Tutorial (Message 11 to 13 of 13)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: 19100
Subject: Re: POV-Ray 2.2 Compilation Tutorial
Date: 27 Aug 2023 11:20:00
Message: <web.64eb6942b2c18cb0dd2e439dedfc8715@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "19100" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > ...
> > I'm something of a MediaWiki noob so let me know if anything's amiss.
>
> have only had a quick few minutes to look, sorry.  ok for the most part I think.
> the <source> tags though I'd recommend replacing with <nowiki> (or perhaps
> <pre>, cf "boxed").  there may be other "stuff", will have another (hopefully
> closer) read in the next days.  (and thanks, the guide's neat)
>
>
> regards, jr.

Thanks for giving it a quick look. My understanding of <nowiki> is that it
disables MediaWiki syntax for that block right? If you could explain the benefit
of it vs <source> that would be great to know.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: POV-Ray 2.2 Compilation Tutorial
Date: 29 Aug 2023 15:20:00
Message: <web.64ee43a4b2c18cb080c03e9d6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"19100" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > ... the <source> tags ...
>
> Thanks for giving it a quick look. My understanding of <nowiki> is that it
> disables MediaWiki syntax for that block right?

yes.


> If you could explain the benefit of it vs <source> that would be great to know.

as happens so often in life :-) I found the reference to the extension providing
the <source> pretty much after posting; first item in editing guidelines, no
less :-(.  without that extension in place I would have argued to keep ml-like
mark-up out of the page; either <nowiki> or <pre> would preserve the given
formatting.  so, sorry, my bad.  hth.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: 19100
Subject: Re: POV-Ray 2.2 Compilation Tutorial
Date: 30 Aug 2023 11:45:00
Message: <web.64ef62c6b2c18cb01e855513edfc8715@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "19100" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > > ... the <source> tags ...
> >
> > Thanks for giving it a quick look. My understanding of <nowiki> is that it
> > disables MediaWiki syntax for that block right?
>
> yes.
>
>
> > If you could explain the benefit of it vs <source> that would be great to know.
>
> as happens so often in life :-) I found the reference to the extension providing
> the <source> pretty much after posting; first item in editing guidelines, no
> less :-(.  without that extension in place I would have argued to keep ml-like
> mark-up out of the page; either <nowiki> or <pre> would preserve the given
> formatting.  so, sorry, my bad.  hth.
>
>
> regards, jr.

Ah, no worries, I see where you were coming from.


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.