POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Updated scripts for make-shift cluster rendering Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:58:42 EDT (-0400)
  Updated scripts for make-shift cluster rendering (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: jhu
Subject: Updated scripts for make-shift cluster rendering
Date: 29 Jan 2014 18:55:01
Message: <web.52e993ec552e7103d19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
See
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.tutorials/thread/%3Cweb.4bab09e0aad27b55ab8b233e0%40news.povray.org%3E/
for general principles.

I have two 6-core machines that I use for rendering scenes that take a long time
to render. Given a scene called "foo.pov", "foo1,pov" and "foo2.pov" are just
copies of each other.

First machine runs this script:

******************
#!/bin/bash
for ((i=1; i<=1080; i+=20))
do
  if [ ! -e "$i.png" ]
   then
    touch $i.png
    let "j = i + 19"
    povray +A0.3 -d +ifoo1 +O$i.png +w1920 +h1080 +SR$i +ER$j
  fi
done
********************

Second machine runs this script

******************
#!/bin/bash
 for ((i=1; i<=1080; i+=20))
 do
  if [ ! -e "$i.png" ]
   then
    touch $i.png
    let "j = i + 19"
    povray +A0.3 -d +ifoo2 +O$i.png +w1920 +h1080 +SR$i +ER$j
  fi
 done
********************

We end up with numerous files named 1.png to 1061.png once all the machines are
finished rendering, each file being a 20 line portion of the final image. Stitch
them together using imagemagick command-line programs:

******************************
#!/bin/bash

for ((i=1; i<=1080; i+=20))
do
  let "j = i + 19"
  let "k = i - 1"
  convert -define png:size=1920x1080 -extract 1920x20+0+$k $i.png $i\_new.png
done

mv 1_new.png 0001_new.png

for ((i=21; i<=99; i+=20))
do
        mv $i\_new.png 00$i\_new.png
done

for ((i=101; i<=999; i+=20))
do
        mv $i\_new.png 0$i\_new.png
done

convert `ls *\_new.png` -append image.png

Final image is image.png

Post a reply to this message

Le 30/01/2014 00:51, jhu nous fit lire :
> See

http://news.povray.org/povray.text.tutorials/thread/%3Cweb.4bab09e0aad27b55ab8b233e0%40news.povray.org%3E/
> for general principles.
>
> I have two 6-core machines that I use for rendering scenes that take a long time
> to render. Given a scene called "foo.pov", "foo1,pov" and "foo2.pov" are just
> copies of each other.

> We end up with numerous files named 1.png to 1061.png once all the machines are
> finished rendering, each file being a 20 line portion of the final image. Stitch
> them together using imagemagick command-line programs:

IMHO with 3.7, you would make better use of block splitting by using a
portion whose boundary are aligned with block size (+BS option)

Notice that you parse the scene multiple times... and that there would
be issue with radiosity and maybe photons.

Post a reply to this message

> IMHO with 3.7, you would make better use of block splitting by using a
> portion whose boundary are aligned with block size (+BS option)
>
> Notice that you parse the scene multiple times... and that there would
> be issue with radiosity and maybe photons.

Edit as you see fit.

For radiosity, I think saving the first few passes and then loading the
radiosity data for each machine should work.