POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Newbie to POV Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:05:15 EDT (-0400)
  Newbie to POV (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Toshiya
Subject: Newbie to POV
Date: 13 Mar 2005 23:45:00
Message: <web.423515f1ef257ace4b2ca0be0@news.povray.org>
can someone help me with the basics? I've messed around with 3D Studio Max
in the past and it looks very different to this

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Subject: Re: Newbie to POV
Date: 14 Mar 2005 14:37:23
Message: <Xns9619D1CA562B3seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:web.423515f1ef257ace4b2ca0be0@news.povray.org Toshiya wrote:

> can someone help me with the basics? I've messed around with 3D
> Studio Max in the past and it looks very different to this

Toshiya,

The first of the basics is that there is no modeller, you probably
noticed. Everything comes from a readable text script. Yet you can use
all kind of modellers and many output POV-Ray's SDL directly or you can
use mesh converters on *.obj etc. files. There is no modeller that fully
supports every aspect of POV-Ray but Moray comes close. So to get
everything out of it you'll have to learn some scripting, especialy if
you want to use the more advanced features like radiosity, photons or
media.

The second basics there is is the manual. Even if you don't intend to
write scenes by hand, work through the tutorial par of the docs as it
gives a good idea of how POV-Ray works.

If language is a problem, there is an international news group on this
server where you can post in your own language. On the web you may find
some more or less complete translations of the POV-Ray documentation.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

>>can someone help me with the basics? I've messed around with 3D
>>Studio Max in the past and it looks very different to this
>

> The second basics there is is the manual. Even if you don't intend to
> write scenes by hand, work through the tutorial par of the docs as it
> gives a good idea of how POV-Ray works.
>

> Ingo

Looking at small renders of the sample scenes (there are many provided
with POV) and wandering into the code to see how everything is placed,
modified, etc, is of great help, too !
Some of the scene are very easy to understand, even if you only discover
that language.

Regis.

Post a reply to this message

> can someone help me with the basics? I've messed around with 3D Studio Max
> in the past and it looks very different to this

This is the better link I can provide:

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/pov__eng.htm

But if you come from 3D Studio Max you can try with Moray

http://www.stmuc.com/moray/menews.html

Install it and follow the tutorials included in the help file.

Hope this helps

--
Txemi Jendrix
www.txemijendrix.com