POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : image and ground area Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:43:50 EDT (-0400)
  image and ground area (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: wfx
Subject: image and ground area
Date: 6 Oct 2003 15:41:52
Message: <3f81c57f@news.povray.org>
hi,
i hope im in the right newsgroup.
My problem is to fit this
http://teg.sourceforge.net/fx/themes/SDLport/world.tga image
to the ground.
My result looks to this
http://teg.sourceforge.net/fx/themes/SDLport/burg.png
(yes i play with kpovray modeler)

and i dont know how to fix it
(i read something but maybe the wrong)

thx a lot
wfx

Post a reply to this message

From: Hughes, B
Subject: Re: image and ground area
Date: 6 Oct 2003 20:08:42
Message: <3f82040a@news.povray.org>
"wfx" <wol### [at] gmxat> wrote in message
> hi,
> i hope im in the right newsgroup.

Hi there. Not exactly... The "right" newsgroup might have been
povray.general or povray.newusers  :-)

> My problem is to fit this
> http://teg.sourceforge.net/fx/themes/SDLport/world.tga image
> to the ground.
> My result looks to this
> http://teg.sourceforge.net/fx/themes/SDLport/burg.png
> (yes i play with kpovray modeler)

I don't know what the kpovray modeler is. Although what you need to do, if I
guess correctly, is to orient the image_map onto the ground plane. Looks
almost like you have it mapping at a 90 degree angle to the ground now (only
a single line of the image exists into infinity), which would be the
default.

For instance, map_type 0 (planar) projects images onto a wall facing -z, so
if your ground is a y plane then you'll want to rotate 90 degrees on the x
axis to lay it flat. And also translate it into position and scale to the
size needed. For example, look at your POV script where the image_map is
applied and have it look something like this:

pigment {
    image_map {
        tga "world.tga"
        map_type 0 // onto plane
        once // do not tile
    }
translate -0.5 // center it
scale <800,478,1>/2 // use image x and y resolution divided by two
rotate 90*x // lay onto y plane, facing +y or up, now is x and z oriented
scale 0.5 // rescale to final size (could be anything except 0)
translate <1,0,1> // move to final position (someplace under your castle)
}

This is, of course, only one way of going about it. Only I hadn't known what
to scale and translate it to, howver the image resolution is same as what I
found for that image file. The POV-Ray documentation concerning image_map
should point you in the right direction. Hopefully I've helped you figure it
out already, too.

Ahhh, I see what kpovmodeler is now, I believe. It's at
http://www.kpovmodeler.org/ in case anyone else wonders about it. I'd be
guessing this too, but it probably works with coordinates the same as the
official POV-Ray; unlike Moray, which reorients to a different coordinate
system. So doing as I said will probably help.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

> "wfx" <wol### [at] gmxat> wrote in message
>> hi,
>> i hope im in the right newsgroup.
>
> Hi there. Not exactly... The "right" newsgroup might have been
> povray.general or povray.newusers  :-)

im sorry and thx next time i use it ;-)

>> My problem is to fit this
>> http://teg.sourceforge.net/fx/themes/SDLport/world.tga image
>> to the ground.
>> My result looks to this
>> http://teg.sourceforge.net/fx/themes/SDLport/burg.png
>> (yes i play with kpovray modeler)
>
> I don't know what the kpovray modeler is. Although what you need to do, if
> I guess correctly, is to orient the image_map onto the ground plane. Looks
> almost like you have it mapping at a 90 degree angle to the ground now
> (only a single line of the image exists into infinity), which would be the
> default.
>
> For instance, map_type 0 (planar) projects images onto a wall facing -z,
> so if your ground is a y plane then you'll want to rotate 90 degrees on
> the x axis to lay it flat. And also translate it into position and scale
> to the size needed. For example, look at your POV script where the
> image_map is applied and have it look something like this:
>
> pigment {
>     image_map {
>         tga "world.tga"
>         map_type 0 // onto plane
>         once // do not tile
>     }
> translate -0.5 // center it
> scale <800,478,1>/2 // use image x and y resolution divided by two
> rotate 90*x // lay onto y plane, facing +y or up, now is x and z oriented
> scale 0.5 // rescale to final size (could be anything except 0)
> translate <1,0,1> // move to final position (someplace under your castle)
> }
>
> This is, of course, only one way of going about it. Only I hadn't known
> what to scale and translate it to, howver the image resolution is same as
> what I found for that image file. The POV-Ray documentation concerning
> image_map should point you in the right direction. Hopefully I've helped
> you figure it out already, too.
>
> Ahhh, I see what kpovmodeler is now, I believe. It's at
> http://www.kpovmodeler.org/ in case anyone else wonders about it. I'd be
> guessing this too, but it probably works with coordinates the same as the
> official POV-Ray; unlike Moray, which reorients to a different coordinate
> system. So doing as I said will probably help.
>
> Bob H.
Ok yes you help me a lot now it looks like this :-)
http://teg.sourceforge.net/fx/themes/SDLport/castel.png

Thx a lot now i can do it better.