POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Animated bubbles Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Animated bubbles (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Spock
Subject: Animated bubbles
Date: 21 Jul 1999 11:16:53
Message: <3795e465@news.povray.org>
This is the source for a quickie bubble animation
using rotating cylinders (actually boxes but I will
be fixing that :-)  See binaries.animations for a 5
frame subset of a 60 frame loop.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Bubbles01.pov.txt' (2 KB)

Rotating cylinders? Boxes? Somehow I missed that fact before.

Spock wrote:

> This is the source for a quickie bubble animation
> using rotating cylinders (actually boxes but I will
> be fixing that :-)  See binaries.animations for a 5
> frame subset of a 60 frame loop.
>
>                     Name: Bubbles01.pov
>    Bubbles01.pov    Type: POV-Ray scene file
(application/x-unknown-content-type-POV-Ray.Scene)

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

From: Spock
Date: 21 Jul 1999 22:32:41
Message: <379682c9@news.povray.org>
Here is another version of this file.  The idea is
to place tiny spheres on the surface of a cylinder
and then rotate the cylinder to animate the drops.

I started off with a cylinder that looked like a paper
towel roll, but the right answer turned out to be a
tall thin shape like a ferris wheel.  I also duplicated
the pattern many times around the rim so the drum
only needs to roll a few degrees for a repeat.  This
solved many problems at once.

The attached file shows three concentric cylinders
spinning at different speeds to give an interesting
depth effect.  I am sure more can be done to clean
this up, but at least now I have my geometry right
and the result is looking good (it is still rendering
but I hope to see the full movie within an hour or
so).

I see an intersection between this object and an
interesting shape (like a glass of water) to place
animated bubbles anywhere in a scene.  Maybe
you see even better possibilities...

From: Spock
Date: 22 Jul 1999 13:03:20
Message: <37974ed8@news.povray.org>
More improvements and a request for help.  This version has
six nested rings and gives a really nice depth feel.  Lots of little
changes to make the animation more realistic and smoother...
and it is!

Now the request.  This animation was done by repeating the
pattern over and over on the surface of a cylinder and then
rotating the cylinder.  The pattern repeats after a single notch
(anywhere from 3 to 10 degrees of rotation in this example),
so that is all the motion required during the movie.

This means that only 1 to 3 percent of the bubbles are actually
used in the animation.  97% or more are wasted memory (and
likely slow down the rendering too).

Can anyone see an easy way to filter the useless bubbles?
Even a rough cut that got rid of 90% is going to help.

I didn't post another copy of the movie to binaries.animations
this time because it looks the same to the untrained eye and I
think people are getting bored with the refinements.  If you are
interested (and have a *really* fast internet connection) you can
check out http://members.home.net/spock19 for the full (5MB)
movie.

Please post your responses or email spo### [at] homecom.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Bubbles02.pov.txt' (2 KB)