POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : My ugly little flame... Server Time
10 Oct 2026 04:36:05 EDT (-0400)
  My ugly little flame... (Message 1 to 20 of 20)  
From: TonyB
Subject: My ugly little flame...
Date: 13 Jun 1999 14:46:26
Message: <3763EED3.4208100C@panama.phoenix.net>
Render with the SuperPatch. Enjoy.

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Graphics rendered
by the Dreamachine.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'lightgroups.pov.txt' (2 KB)

From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 13 Jun 1999 15:09:51
Message: <376401ff@news.povray.org>
TonyB <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:

: Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

  Why people still send binaries to this group?

-- 
main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/


Post a reply to this message

From: TonyB
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 13 Jun 1999 15:41:26
Message: <3763FBB7.61C013B9@panama.phoenix.net>
Ron Parker did just before me. Why didn't you say anything to him? This is
text after all. Yeesh. I mean, what's the point of having a text.scene-files?
I understand a binaries.scene-files for when I send a scene with textures,
and meshes, but just a simple scene like this deserves to be considered as
text and go here. OK?

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Graphics rendered
by the Dreamachine.


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 13 Jun 1999 16:54:00
Message: <3764199b.4091970@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:43:03 -0400, TonyB
<ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:

>Ron Parker did just before me. Why didn't you say anything to him? 

Did not.  Mine was text.  Yours was MIME base64 encoded.  Mine
is readable to a human in a simple newsreader (slrn is my usual
choice) or by telnetting to port 119 (yes, I do that a lot) 
Yours is not.


Post a reply to this message

From: Remco de Korte
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 13 Jun 1999 17:02:00
Message: <37641392.3D4B78F4@xs4all.nl>
TonyB wrote:
> 
> Ron Parker did just before me. Why didn't you say anything to him? This is
> text after all. Yeesh. I mean, what's the point of having a text.scene-files?
> I understand a binaries.scene-files for when I send a scene with textures,
> and meshes, but just a simple scene like this deserves to be considered as
> text and go here. OK?
> 
> --
> Anthony L. Bennett
> http://welcome.to/TonyB
> 
> Graphics rendered
> by the Dreamachine.

I guess the difference is you've attached the pov-file to your message in stead
of cuttin'&pastin' it. I see no great harm in that but obviously others do.

Anyway: thanks for the source.

Have fun!

Remco


Post a reply to this message

From: TonyB
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 13 Jun 1999 19:39:09
Message: <37643365.A61CFE12@panama.phoenix.net>
Well, sorry. I didn't know that people do these things that way. I'll
keep that in mind in the future, and copy-paste the text into the
message. OK?

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Graphics rendered
by the Dreamachine.


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 13 Jun 1999 22:17:02
Message: <376465d4.23607613@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 18:40:37 -0400, TonyB
<ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:

>Well, sorry. I didn't know that people do these things that way. I'll
>keep that in mind in the future, and copy-paste the text into the
>message. OK?

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out the difference.

Interesting how a post called "my ugly little flame" turns into an
ugly little flame. :)


Post a reply to this message

From: Bob
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 01:13:23
Message: <37648F4D.C3D3B00@aol.com>
Netscape didn't even give me a clue that this had been encoded, just showed me a all
text message. Hmmm, then again there was a horizontal rule bar like in web pages.
Guess
that was the clue.
The important factor is that no "Attachment" whatsoever should be done here I suppose,
and all so-called "text.scene-files" would be only written into a message post
directly
or, as has been said, cut&pasted in. I can understand the confusion however since a
singular pov file for example is just a text alone and if two or more files are zipped
and posted it constitutes a "binary" file belonging obviously at the twin group
p.b.s-f.
Except I can easily see how someone would even then think of that as a set of "text"
files and would be containing no binaries such as images, etc.
Please see the attached diagram which flowcharts this out in a more understandable
way.

[binary file]

Just kidding!

And if you have read down to here: this is the first I've seen the 'groups' and
'light_group' keywords. Guess I need to read something huh? And btw, those
'confidence',
'variance' and 'ratio' numbers are probably the most extreme decimals I've come
across.
I have never found any differences myself whether they be 0.9 or 0.99999999999999 for
confidence, and 0.1 or 0.000000000001 for variance. The ratio one is another story, a
spotlight in media can get pretty ragged if 'ratio' is not set right (default okay I
guess).


Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 01:27:38
Message: <376492ca@news.povray.org>
Bob <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote:
: Netscape didn't even give me a clue that this had been encoded

  This is one of the main reasons why I don't like the news reader of
netscape.

-- 
main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 01:29:48
Message: <37649086.88DFD1B8@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:
> 
> Bob <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> : Netscape didn't even give me a clue that this had been encoded
> 
>   This is one of the main reasons why I don't like the news reader of
> netscape.
> 
> --
> main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
> ):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/


That is one of the reasons I like it. I don't have to see all of the encoding
crap and it takes care everything for me keeping the backgroud tasks invisible.

-- 
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net


Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 01:39:57
Message: <376495ad@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
: That is one of the reasons I like it. I don't have to see all of the encoding
: crap and it takes care everything for me keeping the backgroud tasks invisible.

  Well, I can start sending my text files with an encoding which netscape
can't read but other readers do. Then others can read the message directly
but you don't.
  However, if I send my text files in plain text, I'm sure everyone can
read them.

  Btw, I still can't understand why the netscape news reader very often
loads the images twice, thus duplicating the download time.

-- 
main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 06:48:36
Message: <3764DB3E.9A2026B2@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Btw, I still can't understand why the netscape news reader very often
> loads the images twice, thus duplicating the download time.

  I believe this only happens when you open an image into it's own window.
I usualy read all messages in a split window where I view the thread on
top and the body of the message on the bottom. If it contains an image I
view the image inside this split window arrangement. If I open the message
in it's own window BEFORE the entire image has finished loading in the
split window then I too expereince the double loading that you describe.
Why this is I can offer no explaination but only my own personal observations.


-- 
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net


Post a reply to this message

From: Jerome
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 09:13:23
Message: <3764FFF2.F84FCFF3@iname.com>
Ken wrote:
> 
> Nieminen Mika wrote:
> 
> >   Btw, I still can't understand why the netscape news reader very often
> > loads the images twice, thus duplicating the download time.
> 
>   I believe this only happens when you open an image into it's own window.
> I usualy read all messages in a split window where I view the thread on
> top and the body of the message on the bottom. If it contains an image I
> view the image inside this split window arrangement. If I open the message
> in it's own window BEFORE the entire image has finished loading in the
> split window then I too expereince the double loading that you describe.
> Why this is I can offer no explaination but only my own personal observations.
> 
> --
> Ken Tyler
> 
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
	I'm afraid it isn't it :( I *always* read the news in a
split window, and I nearly always get this double-download
problem... Any way if anybody knows how to solve this I'm
interested too...

-- 
*******************************
* Always listen to experts,   * Jérôme M. BERGER
* they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
* Then do it.                 *
*******************************


Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 09:51:59
Message: <376508FE.A61F036B@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Jerome wrote:
> 
>         I'm afraid it isn't it :( I *always* read the news in a
> split window, and I nearly always get this double-download
> problem... Any way if anybody knows how to solve this I'm
> interested too...
> 

Me too!

Marc
-- 
Marc Schimmler


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 10:25:36
Message: <376510e0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:12:45 -0500, Bob wrote:
>And if you have read down to here: this is the first I've seen the 'groups' and
>'light_group' keywords. Guess I need to read something huh? 

You'll need to read the superpatch documentation.  Those are not 
standard POV keywords.


Post a reply to this message

From: Andrew Clinton
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 22:40:00
Message: <3765BD2E.CBAFB87D@ibm.net>
I had no problem reading it.  Man, I could have sworn he'd commited a crime!  Thanx
for the source,

Andrew C


TonyB wrote:

> Render with the SuperPatch. Enjoy.
>
> --
> Anthony L. Bennett
> http://welcome.to/TonyB
>
> Graphics rendered
> by the Dreamachine.
>
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                       Name: lightgroups.pov
>    lightgroups.pov    Type: POV-Ray scene file
(application/x-unknown-content-type-POV-Ray.Scene)
>                   Encoding: base64


Post a reply to this message

From: Edward C 
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 15 Jun 1999 00:32:48
Message: <3765d770@news.povray.org>
Andrew Clinton wrote in message <3765BD2E.CBAFB87D@ibm.net>...
>I had no problem reading it.  Man, I could have sworn he'd commited a
crime!  Thanx for the source,


He did, he violated 'netiquette'.  Don't be fooled by the similarity to the
word 'etiquette', violating etiquette may sometimes result in raised
eyebrows, quiet whispers and the like, violating netiquette is addressed
with a standard punishment - death by ritual abuse.    :-P


Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 20 Jun 1999 12:55:46
Message: <376D1D7C.52A20673@aol.com>
Jerome wrote:

> I *always* read the news in a
> split window, and I nearly always get this double-download
> problem... Any way if anybody knows how to solve this I'm
> interested too...

Just be lucky you didn't get Microsoft's newsreader like I did. It finally quit
sending my messages and letting me see new ones. I have experienced the
double-download problem with Netscape, but it is a small price to pay for a much
better program.

SamuelT


Post a reply to this message

From: Graeme Melia
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 20 Jun 1999 17:04:42
Message: <376d576a@news.povray.org>
I use Outlook Express 5 and it converts some of the text source code into
links.

Personally I prefer attachments as you can save tham directly to the
required location rather than having to cut and paste

Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote in message
news:3764199b.4091970@news.povray.org...
> On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:43:03 -0400, TonyB
> <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:
>
> >Ron Parker did just before me. Why didn't you say anything to him?
>
> Did not.  Mine was text.  Yours was MIME base64 encoded.  Mine
> is readable to a human in a simple newsreader (slrn is my usual
> choice) or by telnetting to port 119 (yes, I do that a lot)
> Yours is not.
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Jerome
Subject: Re: My ugly little flame...
Date: 21 Jun 1999 03:38:10
Message: <376DEBE1.34329395@iname.com>
Samuel Benge wrote:
> 
> Jerome wrote:
> 
> > I *always* read the news in a
> > split window, and I nearly always get this double-download
> > problem... Any way if anybody knows how to solve this I'm
> > interested too...
> 
> Just be lucky you didn't get Microsoft's newsreader like I did. It finally quit
> sending my messages and letting me see new ones. I have experienced the
> double-download problem with Netscape, but it is a small price to pay for a much
> better program.
> 
> SamuelT
	Actually Ididn't get much choice: I don't have internet
access at home, so I read the news at school on a Sun
workstation. Not many versions of Outlook Express work there
;)

		Jerome

-- 
*******************************
* Always listen to experts,   * Jérôme M. BERGER
* they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
* Then do it.                 *
*******************************


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.