POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Laser Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Laser (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Antonio Viojo
Subject: Laser
Date: 30 May 1999 16:30:02
Message: <3750AF12.7225D151@adinet.com.uy>
Hi All,

    Does anyone know how to make a laser light (from a gun for example).

    (Media, finish, interior,...)???

Thanks.-

Pablo Viojo

Post a reply to this message

From: Edward C
Subject: Re: Laser
Date: 31 May 1999 02:47:43
Message: <3752227f.0@news.povray.org>
One technicality you may or may not want to keep in mind is that if you
shine a laser through relatively dust/smoke free air, it will generally be
completely invisible except where it actually hits a solid object.  With
that in mind, you could simply specify the souce of the laser with an
ordinary, but very bright, light-source using the 'cylinder' keyword to
restrict the light to a straight beam.  Then if you had some media dust or
smoke, the laser would show up.  If you want your laser visible at all
times, then a clear, hollow cylinder with an emitting media inside, using
either flat or cylinder-mapped density would be O.K.
I hope this has helped, if you want a better explanation of anything, just
ask.

Post a reply to this message

>One technicality you may or may not want to keep in mind is that if you
>shine a laser through relatively dust/smoke free air, it will generally be
>completely invisible except where it actually hits a solid object

However, if you are looking pretty much parallel to the laser beam, most air
has enough dust floating in the air that you see sparkles in the beam.  This
is how photographers manage to take pictures of laser beams.

Mark