POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Caustic reflecton problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:19 EDT (-0400)
  Caustic reflecton problem (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: David Cook
Subject: Caustic reflecton problem
Date: 22 Mar 1999 23:47:38
Message: <36f71cea.0@news.povray.org>
This is my feeble attempt at recreating Henric Wann Jensen's cool "classic
cardioid" caustic pattern (http://www.gk.dtu.du/home/hwj/ and
http://www.gk.dtu.dk/home/hwj/pictures/metalring.jpg) using Nathan Kopp's
Photon Patch for POV-Ray (http://www.nathan.kopp/photons.htm).

The problem with this (did I say feeble) attempt, is that as you can see,
the ray's are almost focused, but not quite. This is simply because the
light source is a skosh too high (as you can also see when you compare the
length of the shadow behind the object with the shadow in HWJ's version.
But... if I try to bring the light up any higher, all of the caustics
disappear. I'm lost and confused.

By the way, I can see why HWJ used a wood-grain table setting. It really
does bring out the caustic effect. I just grabbed one of the standard wood
textures from the POV includes, but it gives the desired effect.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'DavesRing.pov.txt' (3 KB)

Nathan suggested I set autostop to 45. I tried it and it works! (see image
ins povray.binary.images) Here's the updated source.

David Cook <nos### [at] homecom> wrote in message
> This is my feeble attempt at recreating Henric Wann Jensen's cool "classic
> cardioid" caustic pattern (http://www.gk.dtu.du/home/hwj/ and
> http://www.gk.dtu.dk/home/hwj/pictures/metalring.jpg) using Nathan Kopp's
> Photon Patch for POV-Ray (http://www.nathan.kopp/photons.htm).
>
> The problem with this (did I say feeble) attempt, is that as you can see,
> the ray's are almost focused, but not quite. This is simply because the
> light source is a skosh too high (as you can also see when you compare the
> length of the shadow behind the object with the shadow in HWJ's version.
> But... if I try to bring the light up any higher, all of the caustics
> disappear. I'm lost and confused.
>
> By the way, I can see why HWJ used a wood-grain table setting. It really
> does bring out the caustic effect. I just grabbed one of the standard wood
> textures from the POV includes, but it gives the desired effect.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'DavesRing2.pov.txt' (2 KB)