POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : new effect: "visible" light_sources Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  new effect: "visible" light_sources (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: axixlab
Subject: new effect: "visible" light_sources
Date: 5 Feb 1999 01:15:58
Message: <01bdb602$69735d80$3f57ae98@default>
Hi! My name is Samuel Benge. While trying to figure out new ways to make
light_sources visible, I stumbled on this idea.
	The idea is to create one or more cylinders originating from the
light_source and ending at the camera location. The cylinder is made to be
totally transparent, and to have a specific specular & roughness finish.
The cylinder must have a radius greater than 1 to show the effect.
	The only problem that occurs with this effect is when creating an object
that intersects one of the cylinders. The light flare gets kind of chopped
off in a strange way. I have found no problems when using this effect with
clouds, however.
	I have also included a new cloud idea at the bottom of the code surrounded
by the exclusion brackets (/*   */).
	I would appreciate any feedback regarding this discovery.

mma### [at] aolcom

//scene code:

camera{location<0,1,-10>look_at<0,0,0>}

sky_sphere{pigment{gradient y color_map{[0 rgb<.2 .2 .3>][1 rgb 0]}}}

//small circle of light
cylinder{<20000,30000,100000>,<0,1,-10>,1.1 pigment{rgbf<1 1 1 1>}
finish{ambient 0 specular .5 roughness .00008}
no_shadow hollow
}
//larger circle of light
cylinder{<20000,30000,100000>,<0,1,-10>,1.2 pigment{rgbf<1 1 1 1>}
finish{ambient 0 specular .2 roughness .0055 }
no_shadow hollow
}

light_source{<20000,30000,100000>rgb<2.4,2.4,3>}

plane{y,-2 pigment{rgb .5}normal{granite 4 scale 10}hollow}

cylinder{<0,-2,0>,<0,4,0>,.5 pigment{rgb 1}}

/*
plane{y,100 pigment{bozo scale 150 color_map{
[.4 rgbf<1 1 1 1>][1 rgb .5]}turbulence .5}
normal{bumps .0001}hollow}
plane{y,115 pigment{bozo scale 150 color_map{
[.4 rgbf<1 1 1 1>][1 rgb 1]}turbulence .5}finish{roughness .5}
normal{bumps .0001}hollow}
*/

Post a reply to this message

This is great!!!!  About the intersecting objects:  You should set the
radius of your cylinder to something much smaller (like 0.001) and then
turn up the roughness value.  Of course, if you use the Windows or DOS
versions, this won't work (a slight bug regarding the value for EPSILON).

Just a reminder... I have a lens flare plug-in available at my website
http://nathan.kopp.com/nkflare.htm  (I think that's the URL).  Chris
Colefax also makes a great flare plug-in.  Your discovery seems to
produce a nice, subtle, and quite realistic flare effect, though!

-Nathan