POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Re: Fractal landscape include file Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fractal landscape include file (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Scott Hill
Subject: Re: Fractal landscape include file
Date: 8 May 1998 08:26:54
Message: <01bd7a7a$d1e22720$8c00a8c0@shindo.ddlinks.co.uk>
Nieminen Mika <war### [at] cctutfi> wrote in article
<6isn4n$f7d$1@oz.aussie.org>...
> Scott Hill (sco### [at] ddlinkscouk) wrote:
> : 	Hmm, nice, but WHY???
>
>   Just for fun.
>   If you read the thread called "a scene file..." (or something like
that)
> you'll see why. The include file is pretty useless (due to the long
> parsing times), but fun to make. I made it just because the mandelbrot
> made of spheres -file I posted in that thread was so exalted by many
people :)
>   Well, if all the replies to this article are so discouraging I'll never
> improve the include file and it will never be anything :(
>   Not everything have to be useful. Sometimes you make something just for
> fun. I think it's pretty exciting to make a 100% pure povray file which
> calculates something nice, which you usually calculate with some other
> program (like fractint). I think that a scene with hundreds of thousands
> of spheres that make a mandelbrot landscape with only a 20 lines pov-file
> is outstanding :)

	Sorry, It wasn't meant to sound quite so negative as it did. I really do
like the mandlebrot made out of spheres, I've even considered doing
something similar myself, I just didn't see the point in doing a triangle
mesh version as well, when a height field is so much simpler.

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.

Post a reply to this message