POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman Server Time
4 Feb 2023 22:23:38 EST (-0500)
  bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman (Message 1 to 10 of 12)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: tx2378
Subject: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 31 Dec 2022 10:50:00
Message: <web.63b0593b5254ba52e265fd82f07cb7f1@news.povray.org>

utf8 escape sequence "\u00ed" is bad displayed.

See this text sentence:

text{ttf "times" "El aj\u00ed estaba picante" 0 0 scale 100}

How can I resolve this issue?


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 31 Dec 2022 11:40:00
Message: <web.63b064bb7ea93d73fbdc16836cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"tx2378" <tx2### [at] naranjaplatanocom> wrote:
>
> utf8 escape sequence "\u00ed" is bad displayed.
>
> See this text sentence:
>
> text{ttf "times" "El aj\u00ed estaba picante" 0 0 scale 100}
>
> How can I resolve this issue?

you'll need a different font.  when I use 'cyrvetic.ttf' I get a letter/glyph
(though, I suspect, not the one you're after).


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 31 Dec 2022 11:50:00
Message: <web.63b067227ea93d731f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"tx2378" <tx2### [at] naranjaplatanocom> wrote:
>
> utf8 escape sequence "\u00ed" is bad displayed.
>
> See this text sentence:
>
> text{ttf "times" "El aj\u00ed estaba picante" 0 0 scale 100}
>
> How can I resolve this issue?

So, I get a capital I with a left-tilted ' and a larger size than the rest of
the font, when I use Times Regular.

I'm going to guess that you need to switch to a different font with the proper
utf glyphs in the character set.

You may or may not need to add charset utf8 to your global settings

It's all very confusing.

https://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3Cweb.60e50c29d0fecd301f9dae3025979125%40news.povray.org%3E/


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 31 Dec 2022 12:45:00
Message: <web.63b074477ea93d7360e0cc3d949c357d@news.povray.org>
"tx2378" <tx2### [at] naranjaplatanocom> wrote:
>
> utf8 escape sequence "\u00ed" is bad displayed.
>
> See this text sentence:
>
> text{ttf "times" "El aj\u00ed estaba picante" 0 0 scale 100}
>
> How can I resolve this issue?

First of all, if you aren't already using global_settings { charset utf8 }, you
need to do so.

But it seems that *none* of the lowercase i glyphs with diacriticals display
properly, with most of the fonts I've tried.  The newer generation Microsoft
fonts do work, though; try "cambria".

N.B. to jr:  The fonts bundled with POV-Ray are all pure nonsense outside the
7-bit ASCII range.  They are not a good test of anything.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 31 Dec 2022 12:50:00
Message: <web.63b075887ea93d731f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Give "Abhaya Libre" a try, WITH charset utf8 in the global settings.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/download/abhaya-libre


https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/language/spanish


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'utf_problem.png' (7 KB)

Preview of image 'utf_problem.png'
utf_problem.png


 

From: jr
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 31 Dec 2022 13:25:00
Message: <web.63b07db17ea93d73fbdc16836cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> ...
> N.B. to jr:  The fonts bundled with POV-Ray are all pure nonsense outside the
> 7-bit ASCII range.  They are not a good test of anything.

agree that the distribution fonts aren't "a good test".  fwiw, two have some
usable/useful glyphs above 127, see attached.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'povfonts.png' (104 KB)

Preview of image 'povfonts.png'
povfonts.png


 

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 31 Dec 2022 14:05:00
Message: <web.63b0876e7ea93d731f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> agree that the distribution fonts aren't "a good test".  fwiw, two have some
> usable/useful glyphs above 127, see attached.
>
>
> regards, jr.

clipka said that they're "borked".

jr's table macro would be a great addition to the scripts that render all the
illustrations for the distribution - in the insert menu, etc.

Going through all of the .fon, .ttf, files and checking to see if there's a
corresponding jpg, png, bmp, and then rendering the ones that don't would be a
nice way to allow periodic updating of the font/include directory as new fonts
are added. (date, time, font name, full path)  It's def a good tool to help
unravel the complex morass which are fonts and how the different versions of
POV-Ray interpret them with/without the utf8 keyword.
(That would also be a good addition: side-by-side comparison of the same font
with & without the utf8 keyword)

It's also a great way to show someone the contents of a typeface file before
they decide to hunt it down and download/install it on their system.

The chili is definitely spicy.


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 31 Dec 2022 16:30:00
Message: <web.63b0a9c07ea93d7360e0cc3d949c357d@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> "Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> > ...
> > N.B. to jr:  The fonts bundled with POV-Ray are all pure nonsense outside the
> > 7-bit ASCII range.  They are not a good test of anything.
>
> agree that the distribution fonts aren't "a good test".  fwiw, two have some
> usable/useful glyphs above 127, see attached.

They are usable, sure, but they do not correspond to standard character sets.


Post a reply to this message

From: tx2378
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 1 Jan 2023 11:10:00
Message: <web.63b1b00c7ea93d73e265fd82f07cb7f1@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> "tx2378" <tx2### [at] naranjaplatanocom> wrote:
> >
> > utf8 escape sequence "\u00ed" is bad displayed.
> >
> > See this text sentence:
> >
> > text{ttf "times" "El aj\u00ed estaba picante" 0 0 scale 100}
> >
> > How can I resolve this issue?
>
> First of all, if you aren't already using global_settings { charset utf8 }, you
> need to do so.
>
> But it seems that *none* of the lowercase i glyphs with diacriticals display
> properly, with most of the fonts I've tried.  The newer generation Microsoft
> fonts do work, though; try "cambria".
>
> N.B. to jr:  The fonts bundled with POV-Ray are all pure nonsense outside the
> 7-bit ASCII range.  They are not a good test of anything.

Hi;


reason, work with Times New Roman. Anyway issue is on POV Ray treatment of some
font families.
Try this on HTML:
<style>
@font-face {font-family:pot; src: url('file:///c:/windows/fonts/times.TTF')}
div {font-family:pot;font-size:300px}
</style>
<div>


And Then this, on POV Ray:
global_settings{charset utf8}
camera{location -1000*z look_at 0}
background{color rgb 1}
text{ttf "C:\windows\fonts\times.ttf" "Ah\u00ed" 0 0
     scale 700
     translate<-580,-200>}

On both I'm using times new roman from Windows 10. HTML works properly but on
POV Ray you'll see that diacritic is ahead from "i".

So I think issue is on POV Ray. I'm using (it's anoying work) a combination of
"i" without dot and a separate diacritic: \u0131 and \u02ca.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: bad display of utf8 code u00ed letter i-accute in times new roman
Date: 1 Jan 2023 16:00:00
Message: <web.63b1f3dd7ea93d731f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"tx2378" <tx2### [at] naranjaplatanocom> wrote:


> reason, work with Times New Roman. Anyway issue is on POV Ray treatment of some
> font families.
> Try this on HTML:
> <style>
> @font-face {font-family:pot; src: url('file:///c:/windows/fonts/times.TTF')}
> div {font-family:pot;font-size:300px}
> </style>
> <div>
>
>
> And Then this, on POV Ray:
> global_settings{charset utf8}
> camera{location -1000*z look_at 0}
> background{color rgb 1}
> text{ttf "C:\windows\fonts\times.ttf" "Ah\u00ed" 0 0
>      scale 700
>      translate<-580,-200>}
>
> On both I'm using times new roman from Windows 10. HTML works properly but on
> POV Ray you'll see that diacritic is ahead from "i".
>
> So I think issue is on POV Ray. I'm using (it's anoying work) a combination of
> "i" without dot and a separate diacritic: \u0131 and \u02ca.

I mean, I'm certainly not saying you're wrong - but I would guess that with
POV-Ray's simplistic handling of all font-related stuff, it's probably going to
be the most true-to-file interpretation.

I seem to recall some issue with Windows falling back onto backup fonts for
missing glyphs in certain character sets.

Try taking a look at the font in the Windows Character Map, or better - a 3rd
party font file viewer like FontForge.  Also maybe WordPad or Notepad.

Options:

clipka had mentioned being able to copy-paste a unicode character into the
POV-Ray text editor, and the parser would correctly identify and interpret that
without any other special treatment.

Cousin Ricky and I have manually converted the character definitions into Bezier
spline objects.

You could dissect the body of the i and the diacritical using masks / CSG and
define a custom made character as an object {}

Use just that character from another font that sufficiently resembles Times.

Use a browser or word processor and screenshot the correctly displayed text and
use that as an image_map billboard with a transparent background.

POV-Ray was really designed as a graphical raytracer, not as something that
handles a lot of text like a word processor.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.