POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : APPEND debug to file? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:03:30 EDT (-0400)
  APPEND debug to file? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: APPEND debug to file?
Date: 20 Oct 2019 11:40:01
Message: <web.5dac7ed69a3baf4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
So, I was just perusing last night's work on analyzing and debugging the radial
pattern, and as many people have probably experienced - some sort of
documentation of the history of the debugging would be useful.

I looked over at:
https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/222/

and tried +GDfile, but it overwrites the file for each new render.

Having some way to append to a file (with a date-time stamp?) would be useful.

If there's a linux wizard about - I'm wondering if there's a way to scan the
..pov file being rendered with grep and output the lines with changes / or the
lines marked with some sort of comment tag as well.

That way one could spend their time and attention on trying to find and fix the
problem, and then go back and have a record of what they did.

--------------------
Peripheral stuff:

Also of use would be - a way to mark certain sections of code or the text
representation of a function for output to #debug, or use in a text{} object.

What I mean by that, is akin to formula() or current() in OpenOffice.
Let's say that /~  ...  ~/ is a construct similar to /* ... */ for commenting.
Only instead of commenting out the enclosed code block, the included code gets
output to the #debug stream.

Let's say we have #declare Fx = function {sin (x)}
formula () would be able to take Fx as an argument and return "sin(x)" as text
for use in scene code or #debug output

current() outputs everything up to that point "on the current line"

So maybe something _like_ #declare SomeImportantParameter = Phi; /<

would serve a similar purpose - clearly not the exact concrete example I'm
proposing

Just emptying the brain for the record.

Post a reply to this message

> So, I was just perusing last night's work on analyzing and debugging the radial
> pattern, and as many people have probably experienced - some sort of
> documentation of the history of the debugging would be useful.
>
> I looked over at:
> https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/222/
>
> and tried +GDfile, but it overwrites the file for each new render.
>
> Having some way to append to a file (with a date-time stamp?) would be useful.

as a workaround, I might try to copy/move the file from a
'Post_{Frame,Scene}_Command' in an .ini.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> So, I was just perusing last night's work on analyzing and debugging the radial
> pattern, and as many people have probably experienced - some sort of
> documentation of the history of the debugging would be useful.
>
> I looked over at:
> https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/222/
>
> and tried +GDfile, but it overwrites the file for each new render.
>
> Having some way to append to a file (with a date-time stamp?) would be useful.
>
> If there's a linux wizard about - I'm wondering if there's a way to scan the
> ..pov file being rendered with grep and output the lines with changes / or the
> lines marked with some sort of comment tag as well.
>
> That way one could spend their time and attention on trying to find and fix the
> problem, and then go back and have a record of what they did.

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Text_Output_Options

Append_File=true   Enable appending to any files that the above streams are
                     being directed to.
Append_File=false  Turn off appending to streams.
+GP                Same as Append_File=true
-GP                Same as Append_File=false

Post a reply to this message