POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Character bit length issue Server Time
2 May 2024 21:30:26 EDT (-0400)
  Character bit length issue (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: The Linux Doctor
Subject: Character bit length issue
Date: 19 Mar 2006 00:35:00
Message: <web.441cecfe5f2042535d368740@news.povray.org>
I'm running POVRAY 3.6.1 and I have a need to be able to use the full 8-bit
ASCII to include some German ligature characters. I noticed that in the
file 'parsestr.cpp' they chop the characters down to 7-bits. I also noticed
that apparently this was not a restriction for versions earlier than 3.5.0.

Is there any specific reason why the change? I don't see the need for it
myself.

Thanx.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm running POVRAY 3.6.1 and I have a need to be able to use the full 8-bit
> ASCII to include some German ligature characters. I noticed that in the
> file 'parsestr.cpp' they chop the characters down to 7-bits. I also noticed
> that apparently this was not a restriction for versions earlier than 3.5.0.

You misunderstand the source code. Instead, you should be reading the user
manual: <http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/263/>

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm running POVRAY 3.6.1 and I have a need to be able to use the full 8-bit
> > ASCII to include some German ligature characters. I noticed that in the
> > file 'parsestr.cpp' they chop the characters down to 7-bits. I also noticed
> > that apparently this was not a restriction for versions earlier than 3.5.0.
>
> You misunderstand the source code. Instead, you should be reading the user
> manual: <http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/263/>
>
>  Thorsten

Ah, right. I got it. What was I thinking?? I guess I'll have to get a UTF-8
capable editor. The only one I know of is emacs, which i hate. Sigh.

Thanks for your help.

Post a reply to this message