POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Identifying and comparing objects/subobjects (i.e. triangles in mesh/mesh2) Server Time
17 May 2024 04:06:11 EDT (-0400)
  Identifying and comparing objects/subobjects (i.e. triangles in mesh/mesh2) (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Held OT
Subject: Identifying and comparing objects/subobjects (i.e. triangles in mesh/mesh2)
Date: 3 Oct 2005 10:10:01
Message: <web.43413b94e7cb92e1f130df3f0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with that...

I'm working on a slightly different approach for supersampling to identify
edges of objects for simulation of diffraction.

For this it would be perfect, if I could identify the objects and subobjects
(i.e. in mesh or mesh2) that are hit by the single rays, so that I can see
if all rays hit the same object/subobject or if they don't so that a
further examination of the situation is needed...

Unfortunately until now I do not see a possibility to do so. I tried to
store the hit object or the whole intersection in a global variable
(OBJECT* or INTERSECTION*) and compare it with the object hit by the next
ray  but there never seemed to be a difference.

Is there an Object-ID or something alike that is unique to each triangle in
a mesh or so which can be stored and compared?

I hope you can help me with that otherwise I guess I will lose a lot of the
generality in my function if I can just compare if any object is hit or
not...

It will be fitting for many situations but not for all...

Thanks in advance,

Sven