POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POVRay for BOINC Server Time
17 May 2024 06:02:14 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay for BOINC (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: richard dot quadling at bandvulc co uk
Subject: POVRay for BOINC
Date: 8 Jun 2005 06:20:01
Message: <web.42a6c5b430827fa0fa73c15b0@news.povray.org>
Hi.

Is there anyone here working on getting POVRay available as a BOINC project?

BOINC : Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing is available at
http://boinc.berkeley.edu.

BOINC basically allows multiple projects to run across thousands of
computers and all the results correlated at a single point. Distributed
processing basically.

There is a set of projects already available for BOINC. Seti, Climate
Prediction, etc.

The old SETI@Home program has become a BOINC project.

But, other projects can be developed.

With the thousands of unused CPU cycles available, some of the MASSIVE
rendering projects could be completed a LOT quicker by sharing the load
around.

I am a programmer, but have not worked in C for a LONG time, but I am sure
that converting POVRay to a BOINC project would be an very interesting
project.

Especially as some of the animation rendering can take months to achieve at
high resolutions.

Regards,

Richard Quadling.

Post a reply to this message