POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Media Emission Absorption Physics?? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:43:30 EDT (-0400)
  Media Emission Absorption Physics?? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Maurya
Subject: Media Emission Absorption Physics??
Date: 9 Sep 2003 03:10:01
Message: <web.3f5d7c488907e3a8174bb7e80@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I have been studying the code of the way media is implemented. I found
in the function Simulate_Media that the Absorption colors are derived
from the reciprocal of the exponential function and they are multiplied
with the color of the incoming ray and the emission values are divided
by the absorption values and added to the original color.

Thus, in a way abroption is multiplied and emission is added. Can anyone
tell me the reference paper or other source from where I can understand
the physics of participating media. I am trying to render high quality
explosions and so I actually want to understand the physics instead of
blindly using what POVRAY does :)

Thanks a lot in advance.
Maurya

Post a reply to this message

Here is a pointer where I got the answer for the scary looking equations in
the code -
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/max95optical.html

Cheers!
Maurya

Maurya wrote:
>Hi,
>I have been studying the code of the way media is implemented. I found
>in the function Simulate_Media that the Absorption colors are derived
>from the reciprocal of the exponential function and they are multiplied
>with the color of the incoming ray and the emission values are divided
>by the absorption values and added to the original color.
>
>Thus, in a way abroption is multiplied and emission is added. Can anyone
>tell me the reference paper or other source from where I can understand
>the physics of participating media. I am trying to render high quality
>explosions and so I actually want to understand the physics instead of
>blindly using what POVRAY does :)
>
>Thanks a lot in advance.
>Maurya

Post a reply to this message

> Here is a pointer where I got the answer for the scary looking equations
> in the code -
> http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/max95optical.html

Thanks for sharing your findings.
Thomas