POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POVRay Design Documents Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:39:04 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay Design Documents (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Don V Black
Subject: POVRay Design Documents
Date: 19 Jan 2003 22:15:04
Message: <web.3e2b6880d641db31caa7dedc0@news.povray.org>
Hi -

I would like to get a quick overview of the POVRay system.
To this end I am seeking a Block Diagram, Dataflow Diagram,
or other similar software system design documents, that
would provide a concise overview of the POVRay system.

Next, I would like to see a list of the modules or classes
that these modules operate upon.

Do any such documents exist within the POVRay community?
Even such documentation from the DKBTrace or Version 2.x
days would be appreciated and useful.

- Thank You
  Digital Don

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to get a quick overview of the POVRay system.
> To this end I am seeking a Block Diagram, Dataflow Diagram,
> or other similar software system design documents, that
> would provide a concise overview of the POVRay system.
>
> Next, I would like to see a list of the modules or classes
> that these modules operate upon.
>
> Do any such documents exist within the POVRay community?
> Even such documentation from the DKBTrace or Version 2.x
> days would be appreciated and useful.

There is no such documentation. There are only the readme files included
with the platform specific source code distributions.  Those readme files
explain how to build POV-Ray, but no other documentation or support is
existing, available or planned for the POV-Ray source code.

If you want to know how a ray-tracer works, get the first book in the
suggested reading section.  POV-Ray isn't very different.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.