POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : typos from the past :-) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:56:14 EDT (-0400)
  typos from the past :-) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: ABX
Subject: typos from the past :-)
Date: 6 Nov 2002 05:13:12
Message: <lkqhsu48uts0t2r9u1e3rmlvv25em0vqqo@4ax.com>
Lodovico Ferrari was born 2 Feb 1522 and died 5 Oct 1565. So he could not make
any method for first version of solve_quartic in 1731 as mentioned in
polysolv.cpp.

Francois Vieta was born 1540 and died 13 Dec 1603. So he could not make any
method for second version of solve_quartic in 1735 as mentioned in
polysolv.cpp.

Perhaps mentioned 1731 and 1735 are just dates when something was published by
someone else where their works were described.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> Perhaps mentioned 1731 and 1735 are just dates when something was published by
> someone else where their works were described.

Or they come from a US history book ... I had a lot of "fun" with the
American version of history while in university in the USA :-)

No, seriously, I think you are right.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

1540 - http://turnbull.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/Chronology/1500_1600.html#1540

> Francois Vieta was born 1540 and died 13 Dec 1603. So he could not make any
> method for second version of solve_quartic in 1735 as mentioned in
> polysolv.cpp.

Seems it was not described by Viete itself but ...
  He presented methods for solving equations of second, third and fourth
  degree. He knew the connection between the positive roots of equations and
  the coefficients of the different powers of the unknown quantity. Perhaps it
  is worth noting that the word "coefficient" is actually due to Viete'

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Viete.html

> Perhaps mentioned 1731 and 1735 are just dates when something was published by
> someone else where their works were described.

More history in
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Quadratic_etc_equations.html

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> Or they come from a US history book ... I had a lot of "fun" with the
> American version of history while in university in the USA :-)

Any examples?

--

        www.b0n541.net