POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dispersion in Windows binary Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Dispersion in Windows binary (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Greg Edwards
Subject: Dispersion in Windows binary
Date: 12 Mar 2003 01:05:55
Message: <evxzf6pnaxyn$.7quce6b1t6ij$.dlg@40tude.net>
This doesn't directly have to do with my currently unreleased patch, but
I've found that the Windows binary of POV 3.5 doesn't render ordinary
dispersion correctly. Particularly around the edges of objects, funny
greenish cyan areas tend to appear. The same scene rendered in a VC++
compile (from unmodified source) doesn't do this but it seems to have some
issues with conserve_energy in refractive objects (black spots).
Anyone know why?

--
light_source#macro G(E)sphere{z+E*y*5e-3.04rotate-z*E*6pigment{rgbt#end{
20*y-10#local n=162;1}#while(n)#local n=n-.3;G(n)x}}G(-n).7}}#end//GregE

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:08:58 -0500, Greg Edwards wrote:

> This doesn't directly have to do with my currently unreleased patch, but
> I've found that the Windows binary of POV 3.5 doesn't render ordinary
> dispersion correctly. Particularly around the edges of objects, funny
> greenish cyan areas tend to appear. The same scene rendered in a VC++
> compile (from unmodified source) doesn't do this but it seems to have some
> issues with conserve_energy in refractive objects (black spots).
> Anyone know why?

I've just noticed that in the official binary (intel compiler), the cyan
spots magically go away when I don't use conserve_energy in the refractive
object's finish. Looks like a possible bug.

One more thing, the cyan spots tend to create negative light for some
reason. I've noticed on partially reflective floors that the cyan spots
still pierce through at their full strength even though half of the
brightness that should show up is from diffuse light.