POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.12a available. Server Time
2 May 2024 19:31:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.12a available. (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.12a available.
Date: 4 Apr 2006 08:10:05
Message: <e0tner$nau$1@chho.imagico.de>
Invisible wrote:
>> http://www.imagico.de/fast_iso/patch.html
>
> Tangentally related to the current beta, but... I once though about the
> isosurface tracing algorithm. If I evaluate the function at a particular
> point in space and the result is a large positive value, then given that
> value and the max_gradiant, I know that there can be no surface within a
> sphere of some radius centered at that point.

POV-Ray already uses this information (slightly different, the exact use
of this idea is called sphere tracing (see the link list on my page).
But this is only done on a per-ray basis.  Using it globally would
require a spatial data structure to store this information for efficient
access (it would be quite similar to the radiosity irradiance cache and
would have exactly the same troubles).

The main additional problem would be that the time required for storing
and querying this information in a lot of cases will exceed the time
required for an additional function evaluation (in radiosity we store
the result of tracing 'count' rays for every sample, here it would be
only the function value).

And note the number of function evaluations (and therefore the resulting
size of the cache) would be extremely large (easily several billions for
a large render).

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 14 Mar. 2006)