POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Fuctions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Fuctions (Message 20 to 29 of 29)
From: Vahur Krouverk
Subject: Re: Fuctions
Date: 27 Jul 2000 03:05:37
Message: <397FDF62.F0EFFADB@aetec.ee>
Disnel wrote:

> Simon Lemieux wrote:
> And why not use some interpreted OO language, such as Python?

Python doesn't qualify, as it requires indenting, to which some object
very strongly ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 27 Jul 2000 03:08:46
Message: <397FE043.90CF581D@yahoo.com>
> If all you are doing is adding an OpenGL rendering mode to POV-Ray, you
> should be fine, but distributing a different program that uses POV
> source code is not allowed.

Damn, I think you got me wrong on this....   I never said I wanted to distribute
any other programs I would have made without authorization.

All I want is to try merging two kinds of 3D programming... for my own personnal
programming experience...

Bye,
	Simon

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 27 Jul 2000 03:40:49
Message: <397FE5F7.9C152369@pacbell.net>
Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> Python doesn't qualify, as it requires indenting, to which some object
> very strongly ;-)

Yeah !

From: Warp
Date: 27 Jul 2000 04:35:21
Message: <397ff448@news.povray.org>
Simon Lemieux <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
: All I want is to try merging two kinds of 3D programming... for my own personnal
: programming experience...

  This is ok according to the povlegal.txt.

  However, I think it has its own risks... Suppose that you mention to someone
that you have made an astonishing program like this. Then this someone asks
you if he could have a copy; he promises to not to distribute it to anyone
else. Then he mentions it to another one, who also promises to not to
distribute it, and so on. After a while we have a WWW-page with the full
program.
  Perhaps a bit exaggerated, but possible :)

From: Ron Parker
Date: 27 Jul 2000 09:08:29
Message: <slrn8o0dpr.udn.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On 27 Jul 2000 04:35:21 -0400, Warp wrote:
>Simon Lemieux <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>: All I want is to try merging two kinds of 3D programming... for my own personnal
>: programming experience...
>
>  This is ok according to the povlegal.txt.
>
>  However, I think it has its own risks... Suppose that you mention to someone
>that you have made an astonishing program like this. Then this someone asks
>you if he could have a copy; he promises to not to distribute it to anyone
>else.

At that point, you've distributed it and must comply with the license.
Personal use means just that.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 27 Jul 2000 19:31:13
Message: <3980C685.CE1AAB64@yahoo.com>
>   However, I think it has its own risks... Suppose that you mention to someone
> that you have made an astonishing program like this. Then this someone asks
> you if he could have a copy; he promises to not to distribute it to anyone
> else. Then he mentions it to another one, who also promises to not to
> distribute it, and so on. After a while we have a WWW-page with the full
> program.
>   Perhaps a bit exaggerated, but possible :)

Hmmm, possible, but that won't happen because nobody I know have Linux as OS and
the only person I would share my work with would be my brother but it would be
for the same personnal purpose... and he wouldn't share it either...  I'm not in
need of cash or anything...  I'm just knowledge thursty ;)

Thanks,
	Simon

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 28 Jul 2000 07:31:53
Message: <39816f28@news.povray.org>
Simon Lemieux <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
: the only person I would share my work with would be my brother but it would be
: for the same personnal purpose... and he wouldn't share it either...

  See? Here we are.
  Then he shares it with his friend (who certainly wouldn't share it with
anyone else), and so on...

From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 31 Jul 2000 11:19:22
Message: <39859943.E11AA9A7@yahoo.com>
>   See? Here we are.
>   Then he shares it with his friend (who certainly wouldn't share it with
> anyone else), and so on...

You just don't get it do you??  Now, you've completely wasted my will to
contribute to POV-Ray... thanks and forget about all this!

Simon

Post a reply to this message

From: Disnel
Date: 4 Aug 2000 10:25:07
Message: <398AD243.4B65D420@itam.cas.cz>
Chris Huff wrote:
 Do you mean use Python for the framework/library, or for the scene
> description language?

For framework/library, of course. Use as scene description language
has all the bad things you meaned.

> If for the scene description language, what would be the benefits? Some
> of the problems would be: forcing a language not designed for scene
> description to be a scene description language, forcing everyone who
> uses POV to relearn the language, making all the sample code, scene
> files, includes, and macros out there completely useless, making POV
> more difficult to learn, etc, etc, etc.
>
> If for the programmer's framework, I have already suggested Java, which
> probably has more people with experience in it, and has many
> similarities to C++ which would make a port easier.

Maybe.

> And what does this have to do with the definition of a function?

Nothing, it should be one line down ;-).

Disnel

Post a reply to this message

From: Disnel
Date: 4 Aug 2000 10:26:53
Message: <398AD2AD.D7A729C9@itam.cas.cz>
Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> Disnel wrote:
> >
> > Simon Lemieux wrote:
> > And why not use some interpreted OO language, such as Python?
> >
> Python doesn't qualify, as it requires indenting, to which some object
> very strongly ;-)

OK, I'am quiet ;-)