POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Threading library in 3.7 beta? Server Time
2 May 2024 19:50:59 EDT (-0400)
  Threading library in 3.7 beta? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Ben Chambers
Subject: Threading library in 3.7 beta?
Date: 17 Nov 2006 20:35:45
Message: <455e6371@news.povray.org>
What threading library does POV-Ray use for the 3.7 SMP beta?  I was
looking at OpenMP recently, until I found out that VC Express doesn't
support it (and I don't have $300 for the Pro version) {funny they don't
mention that explicitly ANYWHERE, even though the "Project Options" have
an option to enable it}.  That started me looking for a different
library, which turned up pthreads, Pth, Zth, Ptr, and a few others.

This question could be considered off-topic, but as POV-Ray is one of
the best pieces of software I know of, and recently began to be
threaded, I thought it would be useful to get the developers' views on
threading and the available libraries.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> What threading library does POV-Ray use for the 3.7 SMP beta?

Boost's, plus our own patch to change the stack size.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > What threading library does POV-Ray use for the 3.7 SMP beta?
>
> Boost's, plus our own patch to change the stack size.

Interesting. I also use Boost in MegaPOV XRS :-)

George
http://www.gammaburst.net