POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Using an object as a decal? Server Time
2 May 2024 14:54:27 EDT (-0400)
  Using an object as a decal? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Tail Kinker
Subject: Using an object as a decal?
Date: 27 Jun 2006 03:09:55
Message: <44a0d9c3$1@news.povray.org>
I've been working on some spacecraft, and I've hit a bit of a brick
wall.  I'd like to put some text on the outside, but the text object
isn't the handiest for this.  Even when using trace(), the results are
less than fresh.

What I'd ideally like to do is to use the text as a decal - change the
pigment where the text intersects the object to match that of the text.
  Any ideas as to how I might manage this?

Post a reply to this message

> I've been working on some spacecraft, and I've hit a bit of a brick
> wall.  I'd like to put some text on the outside, but the text object
> isn't the handiest for this.  Even when using trace(), the results are
> less than fresh.
>
> What I'd ideally like to do is to use the text as a decal - change the
> pigment where the text intersects the object to match that of the text.
>  Any ideas as to how I might manage this?

This is the wrong group for this question.  This group is for discussion of
the POV-Ray source code, not general questions of using POV-Ray.  Questions
about using POV-Ray should be asked/made in either povray.general or
povray.newusers.

	Thorsten, POV-Team

Post a reply to this message

> I've been working on some spacecraft, and I've hit a bit of a brick
> wall.  I'd like to put some text on the outside, but the text object
> isn't the handiest for this.  Even when using trace(), the results are
> less than fresh.
>
> What I'd ideally like to do is to use the text as a decal - change the
> pigment where the text intersects the object to match that of the text.
>  Any ideas as to how I might manage this?

Wouldn't the object_pattern solve your problem?

	Thorsten

PS: Please do not cross-post general questions of using POV-Ray to the
povray.programming group. That group is for discussion of the POV-Ray source
code, not general questions of using POV-Ray.

Post a reply to this message

>> What I'd ideally like to do is to use the text as a decal - change the
>> pigment where the text intersects the object to match that of the text.
>>  Any ideas as to how I might manage this?
>
> Wouldn't the object_pattern solve your problem?

Thanks for the suggestion.  It took me some head-bashing (which turned
out to be because of a stupid mistake), but I got it working.

> PS: Please do not cross-post general questions of using POV-Ray to the
> povray.programming group. That group is for discussion of the POV-Ray source
> code, not general questions of using POV-Ray.

Sorry...misunderstood the use of that group.  It won't happen again.

Post a reply to this message