POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Angle dependent light source Server Time
1 Jul 2024 07:01:57 EDT (-0400)
  Angle dependent light source (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Gianluca Massaccesi
Subject: Angle dependent light source
Date: 10 Feb 2004 02:46:19
Message: <40288c4b@news.povray.org>
Hallo to everybody!

I have the problem to model a real light source, given as angle dependent
power intensity.
What I mean is that referring to IES specification for light source, I
experimental model a light source giving a value of candela light intensity
for each vertical and horizontal angle.

Does anybody suggest me how to model in POV-Ray?

At the moment I modelled the problem writing a code that transform the light
source in a set of spotlight with the right direction. Obviously this is an
approximation as the light cones intersect each-other and I have to correct
the value, taking account of this. But the biggest problem is that the speed
performances are quite compromized becouse of the big number of light
sources. Other raytracer for example have the possibility to assign directly
an IES file format to a light source.

I wonder if there is some other more efficent method.

Thank you.