POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : qnx povray3.5 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  qnx povray3.5 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: mike
Subject: qnx povray3.5
Date: 16 Sep 2002 22:55:03
Message: <web.3d86986c5b0ff3c7b3e053a20@news.povray.org>
Has anyone compiled povray 3.5 on QNX?

I have tryied but I get errors.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: qnx povray3.5
Date: 17 Sep 2002 03:43:21
Message: <3d86dd19$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3d86986c5b0ff3c7b3e053a20@news.povray.org> , "mike"
<mik### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Has anyone compiled povray 3.5 on QNX?
>
> I have tryied but I get errors.

Well, if you don't let us know which errors, we cannot help you...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: mike
Date: 18 Sep 2002 00:10:03
Message: <web.3d87fbc8266bdc38a420ead10@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <web.3d86986c5b0ff3c7b3e053a20[at]news.povray.org> , "mike"
><mik### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone compiled povray 3.5 on QNX?
>>
>> I have tryied but I get errors.
>
>Well, if you don't let us know which errors, we cannot help you...
>
>    Thorsten

>Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
>e-mail: tho### [at] trfde
>
>Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org

So, the error I was having determines whether anyone else has been able to
compile povray 3.5 on QNX? Rather strange I would thank.

In any case I come to the conclusion that the answer is no and that I am in
need of help resolving the error I am getting.

The error is:
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/povray-3.50b/src'
g++ -DPREFIX=\"/usr/local\" -DPOV_LIB_DIR=\"/usr/local/share/povray-3.5\"
-DCOMPILER_VER=\".Linux.gcc\" -DSYS
CONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\" -DUSE_IO_RESTRICTIONS=\"\"     `if [ "Xgcc" =
"Xgcc" ]; then echo "-Wno-multichar"
; fi ` -O3 -c atmosph.cpp
In file included from frame.h:56,
                 from atmosph.cpp:31:
config.h:43: algorithm: No such file or directory
atmosph.cpp:50: algorithm: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [atmosph.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/povray-3.50b/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
#

I hope this is enough and I hope Thorsten Froehlich is not having such a bad
day when he replies. I get those days too. :)

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 18 Sep 2002 05:04:18
Message: <3d884191@news.povray.org>
mike <mik### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> So, the error I was having determines whether anyone else has been able to
> compile povray 3.5 on QNX? Rather strange I would thank.

  I think that a solution to your problem would help you a lot more than
the knowledge that someone else has (or hasn't) the same problem.

> config.h:43: algorithm: No such file or directory

  If you write "g++ --version", what does it say?

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Sep 2002 05:44:04
Message: <3d884ae4$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3d87fbc8266bdc38a420ead10@news.povray.org> , "mike"
<mik### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> So, the error I was having determines whether anyone else has been able to
> compile povray 3.5 on QNX? Rather strange I would thank.

No, but try to think about it this way:  there are two answers to your
question.  Yes, I have problems and no, I don't have problems.  Neither
answer helps you, but the next question for either answer would be what
problem do you have?  So I decided to skip waiting for the answer as QNX
isn't exactly the most widely used operating system and thus the probability
to get an answer here is rather low ;-)

> In any case I come to the conclusion that the answer is no and that I am in
> need of help resolving the error I am getting.
>
> In file included from frame.h:56,
>                  from atmosph.cpp:31:
> config.h:43: algorithm: No such file or directory
> atmosph.cpp:50: algorithm: No such file or directory

Well, as you know, POV-Ray requires a C++ compiler.  This also implies you
have the standard libraries a C+ compiler needs and that are part of every
C++ compiler package.  The problem is that you either have not specified the
appropriate include path for the library include file "algorithm" (it is
correct that it does not have a ".h" extension!), or that you do not have it
or that you simply have a C++ compiler / library combination from
prehistoric days (older than about five years).

So there are a few possible solutions:

a) Add the include path to your makefile.

b) Update you compiler / library combination.

c) See if you can locate a file called "algorithm.h" and then create a file
called "algorithm" in the same location and add "#include <algorithm.h>" in
the "algorithm" file.

d) If you do not have "algorithm" or "algorithm.h", create a file called
"algorithm" in your library include directory (where you find files such as
"stdio.h").  In that file add your own definitions of the functions min and
max (one that takes doubles, one that takes floats, one that takes int and
one that takes longs), which is basically all POV-Ray needs from
"algorithm".  Be aware that POV-Ray expects - and as mandated by the ISO C++
standard - min and max to be _functions_ not macros!

From: mike
Date: 18 Sep 2002 17:30:14
Message: <web.3d88ebd4266bdc38349ff7400@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <web.3d87fbc8266bdc38a420ead10[at]news.povray.org> , "mike"
><mik### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>> So, the error I was having determines whether anyone else has been able to
>> compile povray 3.5 on QNX? Rather strange I would thank.
>
>No, but try to think about it this way:  there are two answers to your
>question.  Yes, I have problems and no, I don't have problems.  Neither
>answer helps you, but the next question for either answer would be what
>problem do you have?  So I decided to skip waiting for the answer as QNX
>isn't exactly the most widely used operating system and thus the probability
>to get an answer here is rather low ;-)

It was my fault. I did not explain the question well enough. I know that my
problem could be solved by a number of people giving help and me trying and
then responding and back and forth for no telling how many times until
finally the problem is solved. I was really hoping that someone had already
worked out all the problems and compiled 3.5 on QNX and would make the
binary files available to me. The XWindows in QNX is much faster than
linux. I also like the interface better. More complete already. So as you
can see I was being lazy and wishing someone else had done all the work for
me.

>> In any case I come to the conclusion that the answer is no and that I am in
>> need of help resolving the error I am getting.
>>
>> In file included from frame.h:56,
>>                  from atmosph.cpp:31:
>> config.h:43: algorithm: No such file or directory
>> atmosph.cpp:50: algorithm: No such file or directory
>
>Well, as you know, POV-Ray requires a C++ compiler.  This also implies you
>have the standard libraries a C+ compiler needs and that are part of every
>C++ compiler package.  The problem is that you either have not specified the
>appropriate include path for the library include file "algorithm" (it is
>correct that it does not have a ".h" extension!), or that you do not have it
>or that you simply have a C++ compiler / library combination from
>prehistoric days (older than about five years).
>
>So there are a few possible solutions:
>
>a) Add the include path to your makefile.
>
>b) Update you compiler / library combination.
>
>c) See if you can locate a file called "algorithm.h" and then create a file
>called "algorithm" in the same location and add "#include <algorithm.h>" in
>the "algorithm" file.
>
>d) If you do not have "algorithm" or "algorithm.h", create a file called
>"algorithm" in your library include directory (where you find files such as
>"stdio.h").  In that file add your own definitions of the functions min and
>max (one that takes doubles, one that takes floats, one that takes int and
>one that takes longs), which is basically all POV-Ray needs from
>"algorithm".  Be aware that POV-Ray expects - and as mandated by the ISO C++
>standard - min and max to be _functions_ not macros!

Thanks I will put this to work and be back with any new errors.

As for the version of G++ I have not yet booted into QNX to find out.

Thanks again for all of this help. I really do appreciate all that have
created or help with povray. It is a great program.