POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Type checking Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Type checking (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: cadman
Subject: Type checking
Date: 9 Jul 2002 08:27:40
Message: <3d2ad6bc@news.povray.org>
The docs state that when using a #read directive into an already #declare'd
variable, POV will perform type checking.  I.e. I read that to mean that the
following shouldn't work:

#declare MyString="Hi mom!"
#fopen f "MyFile.txt" read
#read (f,MyString)
if Myfile.txt contains the text "<1,1,1>" (with no quotes)

But it does.  Is this a bug, or something I'm doing wrong?

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 08:27:31 -0400, "cadman"
<REM### [at] povraycouk> wrote:
> The docs state that when using a #read directive into an already #declare'd
> variable, POV will perform type checking.  I.e. I read that to mean that the
> following shouldn't work:
> #declare MyString="Hi mom!"
> #fopen f "MyFile.txt" read
> #read (f,MyString)
> if Myfile.txt contains the text "<1,1,1>" (with no quotes)
> But it does.  Is this a bug, or something I'm doing wrong?

Can't verify this currently but perhaps this is connected with type checking
when array entry is readed since you can't have different types in one array ?

ABX