POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Legal Question.. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Legal Question.. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Michael Andersen
Subject: Legal Question..
Date: 18 Feb 2002 00:07:31
Message: <3c708c13@news.povray.org>
Hi all

1. I was wondering if its legal to add support in a commercial product so it
can use PovRay as renderer.
2. IF 1 is legal, would it also be legal if PovRay is modified/bundled, just
as i notices MegaPov / Pov Patches had some rather
    nice inprovments..

3. Is there any legal matters refering to the .pov format, i mean in form
for another app to Import/Export it..

Regards
 Michael

Post a reply to this message

> 1. I was wondering if its legal to add support in a commercial product so it
> can use PovRay as renderer.
> 2. IF 1 is legal, would it also be legal if PovRay is modified/bundled, just
> as i notices MegaPov / Pov Patches had some rather
>     nice inprovments..

You should read the Povray licence (povlegal) about this.  Concerning
commercial bundling: Yes, this is possible, but you need explicit
permission by the POV-Team.

> 3. Is there any legal matters refering to the .pov format, i mean in form
> for another app to Import/Export it..

Also said in povlegal IIRC, the use of the POV-SDL is totally free.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,