POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 3.5 src questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  3.5 src questions (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Pabs
Subject: 3.5 src questions
Date: 2 Oct 2002 03:09:18
Message: <3D9A9B12.70DC2D1E@nospam_zip.to>
In Parse_Cylinder in parse.cpp
        Parse_Vector(Object->apex);  Parse_Comma ();
        Parse_Vector(Object->base);  Parse_Comma ();
should be?
        Parse_Vector(Object->base);  Parse_Comma ();
        Parse_Vector(Object->apex);  Parse_Comma ();
or does the intersection code require this?
It just seems logical that the base of a cylinder from the SDL should be
stored in a variable called base. Of course mathematically it probably
makes little difference. There is similar problem in Parse_Cone.

How have other ppl satisfied the POV licence wrt not enabling new
features unless #version unofficial is in the file?

My matrix math is a little rusty, so can anyone tell if MTransNormal
alters the length of a normal eg through a scale/translate/skew
transform?

This one for someone who is familiar with the hf code: how do I get the
height and normal (possibly smoothed) at a particular **noninteger** x,
z position? Yes I'm stupid.

Bye,
Pabs

Post a reply to this message

Ooops forgot to ask how to interpolate a prism/lathe/sor spline using a
value in the range 0...1?
I know about Get_Spline_Val, but I think that is only for the spline
functions from the SDL.

Bye,
Pabs

Post a reply to this message

> It just seems logical that the base of a cylinder from the SDL should be
> stored in a variable called base. Of course mathematically it probably
> makes little difference. There is similar problem in Parse_Cone.

It makes no difference, but I am surprised...it would seem more
"natural" to specify the base first.

> How have other ppl satisfied the POV licence wrt not enabling new
> features unless #version unofficial is in the file?
>
> My matrix math is a little rusty, so can anyone tell if MTransNormal
> alters the length of a normal eg through a scale/translate/skew
> transform?

I would say "yes". If MTransNormal were used several times on a normal,
all but the last normalization would be redundant and wasteful of CPU.
And I don't remember seeing a normalization in the code. The act of
transforming a normal can change its length, scaling and probably
shearing will do so. Translation has no effect on normals.

> This one for someone who is familiar with the hf code: how do I get the
> height and normal (possibly smoothed) at a particular **noninteger** x,
> z position? Yes I'm stupid.

Hmm...can't really help there, but I'd look at intersect_pixel(). There
could be a better way to do what you want, more information would help.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message