POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : FAQ: Questions for Nathan's Photon Patch. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:31 EDT (-0400)
  FAQ: Questions for Nathan's Photon Patch. (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Alan Kong
Subject: Re: FAQ: Questions for Nathan's Photon Patch.
Date: 28 Mar 1999 05:15:03
Message: <36FE0123.650D4838@compuserveNO-SPAM.com>
povray.org admin team (regarding patch group) wrote:
>> not any more (remember to get new groups)

povray.unofficial.patches

  Thanks much, sir! Very appropriate and sure to be a hit.

- Alan

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 29 Mar 1999 09:08:44
Message: <36ff896c.0@news.povray.org>
>povray.unofficial.patches
>
>  Thanks much, sir! Very appropriate and sure to be a hit.

I'll second that.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 29 Mar 1999 15:23:57
Message: <36FFE0C7.B7D32607@Kopp.com>
This is correct.  Thanks for answering it, Peter.  Manually bounding can speed
things up a lot sometimes (especially when using difference & intersection).

-Nathan

Peter Popov wrote:

> Hi Ken.
>
> I think I can answer this one for you.
>
> >8.) Are there any object types that are excluded from working with
> >   the photon patch, photon specific, properties ?
> >   Of the different object types the patch seems to provide the least
> >   functionality with are triangles and meshes, it works properly with
> >   procedural primitives, and seems to really choke on CSG constructs
> >   like a shape made out of intersecting planes. The last is one that
> >   gave me the runaway photon counter mentioned above. A box trimmed
> >   with an intersecting plane works well but if you use all planes to
> >   form a refracting object it goes nuts and no parameter will change
> >   the way it reacts. This is of course a one object, one time, situation
> >   that I have not confirmed with other constructions or construction
> >   CSG types.
>
> Photons are shot at an object's bounding box. POV is at a loss when
> trying to automatically bound an intersection of planes (or any other
> infinites) only. When you intersect a box with a plane, POV knows for
> sure that the resulting object will be bounded by the aforementioned
> box. The solution is to manually bound your CSG of planes. It will
> speed up the render, too.
>
> ---------
> Peter Popov
> ICQ: 15002700