POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Spherical mapping in POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Spherical mapping in POV (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Diego Krota
Subject: Spherical mapping in POV
Date: 2 Jan 1999 10:24:15
Message: <368E2DA6.F0C6DA40@geocities.com>
Hi!

Once I tried to modify POV source code to make possible to map an image
with the
spherical wrapping with repetitions. (Sp the image can be tiled on the sphere).
It worked under some conditions but often I got errors and crashes.
Since I'm not extremly skilled in programming and my knowledge of POV
source code
is less than minimal, why no one ever did such (pretty simple, trust me)
extremly useful update to the code?

I wrote at least ten mails to Alexander Enzmann, who wrote the original
mapping code but never received any answer.

*** to answer by mail remaove the "X" form my address ***
(---------------------------------------------------------------)
( Diego Krota   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/2419 )
(---------------------------------------------------------------)
(      Never do anything you wouldn't be caught dead doing      )

Post a reply to this message

I was actually playing around with this just the other day.  It is pretty
elementary to allow for the tiling in spherical, cylindrical, and torus mappings.
I didn't encounter any crashes or bugs.  I did run into a bit of a wall trying to
add syntax to the parser to support this at the scene level (I just hard-coded in
the changes when I was playing with it).  I haven't really had a lot of time to
play with it, but I'll post if I find some time and get it working.

Ken