POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: wrapping height fields Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wrapping height fields (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: wrapping height fields
Date: 29 Oct 1998 11:26:46
Message: <36389746.0@news.povray.org>
On 29 Oct 1998 11:05:34 -0500, Nieminen Mika <war### [at] assaricctutfi> wrote:
>Jon Berndt <jsb### [at] hal-pcorg> wrote:
>: Is it possible to wrap a height field around an object?
>
>  I think this would be a nice feature for the next version of povray. It
>shouldn't be hard to implement (heightfields are converted to a triangle mesh
>anyways; just change the way in which it places the triangles (not on a
>plane surface with a height but on a spherical surface with a radius) and
>there is it).

Actually, heightfields are a very specialized triangle mesh, with the
intersection-finding routines optimized to a gridded, rectangular,
nonoverlapping mesh.  While you could create a mesh, you'd end up with
the same thing you can get from orbcyl today.  On the other hand, it
would be possible to create an optimized search routine for spherical
or cylindrical heightfields as well, so maybe someone will do so
someday.

Followups to povray.programming.