POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: UNIX version ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UNIX version ? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: UNIX version ?
Date: 22 Oct 1998 13:43:21
Message: <362f60a9.0@news.povray.org>
In article <362EF18B.9D95F05C@linux.itam.cas.cz> , Disnel <Dis### [at] linuxitamcascz>
wrote:

>Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>>
>> PS: Why don't you try one of the unofficial versions for now if you
>absolutely need a unix version *now*?
>
>Where can I find it? I really need UNIX version, because I don't use M$
>Windoze.

The was e.g. an announcement in povray.generat a fe weeks ago "[ANNOUNCE]
Unofficial Linux Port of POV 3.1 is Ready!" and the address is
http://www.ezwv.com/~mclilith/index.html

This should contain the makefile because as POVLEGAL.DOC says:

"Custom versions may only be distributed as freeware. You must make all of
your modifications to POV-Ray freely and publicly available with FULL SOURCE
CODE to the modified portions of POV-Ray and must freely distribute full
source to any new parts of the custom version. The goal is that users must
be able to re-compile the program themselves using readily available compilers
and run-time libraries and to be able to further improve the program with
their own modifications. "

So it should be possible to recompile it with little work on any Unix with gcc.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.
Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://www.povray.org

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:43:20 -0500, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:

>This should contain the makefile because as POVLEGAL.DOC says:
>
>"Custom versions may only be distributed as freeware. You must make all of
>your modifications to POV-Ray freely and publicly available with FULL SOURCE
>CODE to the modified portions of POV-Ray and must freely distribute full
>source to any new parts of the custom version. The goal is that users must
>be able to re-compile the program themselves using readily available compilers
>and run-time libraries and to be able to further improve the program with
>their own modifications. "
>

>So it should be possible to recompile it with little work on any Unix with gcc.

Well, it doesn't include the makefile.  I wasn't aware that the
makefile was considered "source code."  But it does include directions
on creating your own makefile from the 3.02 version, assuming you have
some familiarity with your make.  All other source is unmodified from
official POV-Team distributions, except for the obvious modifications
to optout.h.