POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Reading values from a file? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:23 EDT (-0400)
  Reading values from a file? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: phibes
Subject: Reading values from a file?
Date: 27 Sep 1998 08:06:57
Message: <360E1C52.59DD9C0D@mad.scientist.com>
Hello!

I want to generate some animated sequences where celestial bodies move
around each other. Since it would be much work to code all the necessary
calculations within POV I'd prefer to read the positions (translations
in <x,y,z>) from a file previously calculated with a powerful
ephemeris-calculator. Is there a possibility to open a file and within
each new frame read in a new set of coordinate-values, etc. from an
ASCII-file instead of calculating all needed values within POV?

Rainer.

Post a reply to this message

First: This is the wrong group to post your question. The "programming"
stands for "programming the POV-Ray source code" not "programming POV scene
scripts".

Second: Get the new POV-Ray 3.1. It has file commands.

Greetings,
Johannes.

phibes wrote in message <360E1C52.59DD9C0D@mad.scientist.com>...
>Hello!
>
>I want to generate some animated sequences where celestial bodies move
>around each other. Since it would be much work to code all the necessary
>calculations within POV I'd prefer to read the positions (translations
>in <x,y,z>) from a file previously calculated with a powerful
>ephemeris-calculator. Is there a possibility to open a file and within
>each new frame read in a new set of coordinate-values, etc. from an
>ASCII-file instead of calculating all needed values within POV?
>
>Rainer.

Post a reply to this message