POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Baseball seam equasion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Baseball seam equasion (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Duane Tackett
Subject: Baseball seam equasion
Date: 23 Aug 1998 05:11:17
Message: <35dfcea5.0@news.povray.org>
Hey everybody,

    I was working on an image for a friend of mine who is really into
baseball and i thought "Sure, no problem!  How hard can it be?"  I was going
fine until I got to the baseball.  It seems there is the matter of the seam
and the stitching that goes with it.  The stitching probably won't be too
hard to do once I get the first thing I need:  The equasion for the seam.
Unfortunately, I have only had up to college algebra so I haven't had enough
math to figure out the equasion for a 3D sine wave.  Those machines that
make baseballs have to use an equsion of some sort to follow the stitches!
    Also, is there something similar to a "point" I can use in pov-ray that
would allow me to actually place the seam on the baseball?  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Duane

Post a reply to this message

>     I was working on an image for a friend of mine who is really into
> baseball and i thought "Sure, no problem!  How hard can it be?"  I was going
> fine until I got to the baseball.  It seems there is the matter of the seam
> and the stitching that goes with it.  The stitching probably won't be too
> hard to do once I get the first thing I need:  The equasion for the seam.
> Unfortunately, I have only had up to college algebra so I haven't had enough
> math to figure out the equasion for a 3D sine wave.  Those machines that
> make baseballs have to use an equsion of some sort to follow the stitches!
>     Also, is there something similar to a "point" I can use in pov-ray that
> would allow me to actually place the seam on the baseball?  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

I recently did a baseball picture:

http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/POV/baseball.jpg

I punted on the baseball modeling, using image maps instead of trying
to really do a 3-d job of it.  If you want my image maps, send me
email.... they are modified from an image I got at the Worth
web site.

Dan

P.S. My understanding is this group is for actual coding issues with
the POV source.   I would redirect this discussion to povray.general,
where this sort of thing is more usually discussed.

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/