POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Anyone up for a challenge ? (and the chance to play with a new toy!) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Anyone up for a challenge ? (and the chance to play with a new toy!) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Mark Smith
Subject: Anyone up for a challenge ? (and the chance to play with a new toy!)
Date: 3 Aug 1998 06:41:07
Message: <35c585b3.0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

First up I'll admit I'm asking this for purely selfish reasons :-)

If anyone out there has good multi-processing skills in either NT or MacOS
would they like to try porting Povray to the BlueICE board (www.iced.com) ?

I've had a brief chat with the guys at Ice (nice people) and they said theat
they would be willing to foot the bill for the Tri-Media SDK (the processors
used on the board and which would normally cost a four figure number!) and
possibly loan the person/people a BlueICE board.

Why would anyone want to try this ? Well the BlueICE board has got 8 Philips
Tri-media processors on board all linked up in parallel to give about 6
GFLOPS of processing power :-) Now I thought to myself wouldn't that be nice
if it could be used for Povray ?

At present the board has plugins for After Effects, AVID, Boris etc and a
few commercial Raytracing packages (can't remember which at the moment) So
it should be very possible to port Povray to it.

So anyone want to have a go ? I must stress though that Ice will not
tolerate someone who just wants to mess about with the SDK cause this
venture would cost them money, so serious offers only please.

Contact me and I'll forward your details on to the relevant peoples at ICE

BTW. If you are in the UK and want to buy a BlueICE board send me a message
as we're an Ice supplier :-)

Mark

mar### [at] storagedirectcom

Post a reply to this message