POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Clarifying some issues and a General RFC Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  Clarifying some issues and a General RFC (Message 21 to 23 of 23)
From: Chris Johnson
Subject: Re: Clarifying some issues and a General RFC
Date: 10 Aug 1998 05:02:22
Message: <chrisj-1008980405360001@usr1a18.bratt.sover.net>
In article <35a420e1.0@news.povray.org>, "Justin Rogers" <dig### [at] 3nnet> wrote:
> Each thread will work on a seperate part of the image with it's own set of
> global variables...  I have looked at the source and it isn't hard to do at
> all.  My proposal would be the same as running 4 versions of POV each
> rendering say 1/4 of the picture.  This is easily done and each thread could
> have its own thread-local.  And it would be very easy to implement.  Don't
> think of things in such a narrow minded, one directional approach.  There is
> always someone with a workable idea.  Try to support such people instead of
> discouraging creativity.  You'll find it is much more beneficial.

   *hehehe* isn't that cute? He thinks threads are free :)
   Why don't you run a separate thread for each pixel? That would be, for
a moderate 640x480, 307,200 threads. With that many threads, the rendering
will be over before it has even begun! Then we can all go home ;)

   Chris Johnson (in all seriousness- try mixing creativity with
willingness to _listen_ to what people are telling you ;) )
         @airwindows.com
   chrisj

Post a reply to this message