POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Alpha Pigments Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Alpha Pigments (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Ben Paschke
Subject: Alpha Pigments
Date: 16 Jun 1998 20:59:04
Message: <358714D8.D7DCE4F3@rsp.com.au>
Greetings all,

    I am working on a Post Effects include routine for POV which,
despite being inspired months ago, is still in it's conceptual state (
i'm sure lots of people know how it goes !). I was just wondering how
one could go about implementing a Pigment attribut that would produce a
completely transparent object in the aplha channel of the resulting
image. I.e. Say you wanted to set up an image and only have selected
objects render fully with other objects in the scene able to mask out
parts of these objects in the alpha channel.

It sounds simple enough but I know that I probably wouldn't be able to
do it myself, so who better to ask than those intrepid custom POV
surgeons (!?) at povray.programming.

I'm hoping that with smaller command line image processing apps I'll be
able to create such effects as object glows (i.e. odd shaped object
glows), and even a type of psuedo-motion blur on a selective object
level.

Cheers,

Ben Paschke.

P.S. It's brilliant to see so many people working towards helping each
other fro such acreative cause.
It really warms my heart ... =sniff!= (wipe tear away from eye)